The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

LS1 : First startup of GenIII in the truck

Zipped, and in Quicktime format. If you don't want to download and install Quicktime to view it, I highly recommend Quicktime Alternative, which you can download here:

First startup: http://satellitehead.com/stuff/FirstStartup.zip

I kinda haphazardly ran the fuel pump relay, and three fusible links to the PCM and fuel pump in order to fire it up. I jacked the car up to be safe and to spin the wheels one time This is the car running with stock '98 Camaro manifolds, stock cats (no exhaust).

Feels good to turn it over, the swap has been 16 months of picking up and losing interest here and there. It's nice to know the engine is good, but there is a lot of work ahead to properly wire this thing up and tuck everything away where it's supposed to be (i.e. safe).

Sad part is I can't drive the damned thing until I get the brakes working, fab up the stupid plate for the hydraulic actuator and install the steering column. You can rest assured at least now I'll have some damned motivation!!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
lbpd719
Zappaphile!

Re: LS1 : First startup of GenIII in the truck

great job and congrats are in order..

I am considering an LS2 down the road (too many decisions to make on my truck at this point) If I dont put the LS2 into the truck, it will find a home in my Datsun 240Z...

Good luck and keep us all notified on your progress..
Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

What throttle cable are you using?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

Lokar.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=153

There is all of the install information with links to very, very explanitory pictures.

Feel free to checkout my buildup thread over at LS1tech (see my signature), here is a TON of very verbose information and pictures there showing almost all of the steps of my install (I need to go back and take pics of fuel system, and finish out the wiring properly, etc.). Pics will be added and eventually I'll transfer a cleaned up version of the thread into the FAQ section here.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Yeller68

Congrats! That sounded so good!
Yeller68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
GREASEMONKEY72

sounds awesome man and looks just as good as it sounds, cant wait to see it on the road in the future

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

I can't wait to get shorter seats!! All I had to toss in it that fit halfass were the van seats I swapped a board member for (Didn't want to toss the Silverado seats in yet)

Old 04-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

I have read browsed your threads both here and there glad to see your making forward progress. Where i Atl are you? Going to the Summit store tomorrow and then to Uncles place to pick up the windshield frame he hauled back from ebfabmans for me.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

I'm literally 2 miles southeast of the I-20/I-75 intersection. If you take I-675 north, it will terminate into Moreland Ave when you hit I-285 (head east). That takes you within one mile of my house, I live off of Confederate Ave, which is maybe 4 miles north (~10 stop lights) of I-675. If you're coming down I-20, if you get off at the Zoo exit, I'm about 5 blocks south of the Zoo. There are five dozen ways to get here.

I've been to Uncle's before, he's a hell of a guy, and you'll be blown away at by some of the stuff he's got if you've never been there before. I need to head out there once this thing is running and pick up a new radiator support, or, at minimum, a new inner fender.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

PS - If you ar eusing the LS1/LS6 intake on your setup and you want me to fab up a bracket like mine for you, I can do it in about 5 minutes. I have 3 angle brackets leftover.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

Maybe i shouldnt leave any money at Summit and take my entire piggy bank to his house
Old 04-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
shifty
Questionable

I'm tellin ya. Seriously. While you're at summit, can you pick me up a 7-circuit painless fuse block?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:32 AM   #13
bad68bowtie
On the college boy budget...

Awesome man, now just get it on the road and hit up some cruise-ins. The thing is so unsuspecting looking you'll be blowing folks minds when you pop that hood.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
shifty
Questionable

I can't wait! Still got some work to go, but the rest is pretty easy, I think? Worst part will be doing the brakes and clutch.

Last edited by shifty; 04-17-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
JHART
1972 Shorty Owner

Location: Stationed in Cali , born and raised in PHX Arizona.

I'm jelous ......

Currently i am looking for a LQ4 or LQ9 GENIII .... but for some reason my no one will let me total thier escalade ..LOL
Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Seriously - check the sales section over at LS1tech. People sell them all day long cheaper than you can find on eBay. I think everyone says avoid everything out of a '99, go 2000+ on the year.

If price is not an option and you just want something with no miles on it at all. contact Schram Auto - look them up using Google, or just hit their site on eBay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Schram-Auto-Parts

You'll find something there with less than 100 miles on it normally. GM dumps off all of their salvage vehicles (ones that get damaged before making it to the lot), you can get some freaking great drivetrains there that have never really been used.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #17
shifty
Questionable

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...4024QQtcZphoto

$1600 for engine with all accessories. 6.0 longblock. It's out of an '01. Great start right there, a bit pricey for 36k miles, but ... not a bad deal for a complete engine that is gonna give you around 350HP and 350TQ right out the door, bone stock.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
Frizzle Fry

Awesome! Can't wait to fire mine. I bet your motivation factor just went through the ceiling! I know mine will.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #19
Spanky_Pete
Too many trucks? Nah...

Awesome work, and it sounds great. I'm currently pinching pennies to do a LS swap into one of my projects...just can't decide which one.
Spanky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #20
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
I bet your motivation factor just went through the ceiling!
very much so! can't wait to get to a junkyard!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #21
Sandemonium
Proud owner of a 55.1 AD

Smile Re: LS1 : First startup of GenIII in the truck

Wow...Congratulations on the successful first start up.....

It sounded very nice.....

Keep up the good work, you truly have a nice truck.....
Sandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote