The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
79underconstruction

manual doors to power....

ok so im switching my 79 C-10 from manual doors ( windows) to Power Windows.. i traded a guy my manual doors for his power doors.. but i need to know is there a way i can hook these doors up w/o buying a wiring harness? it has the harness off the door but not under my dash for the fuse box? has anyone done this b4? and also i cant seem to get the driver side window to stay in the rack it keeps falling off any ideas how i can make it stay in the track? ANY FEED BACK IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED
HANKS
DANA
79underconstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: manual doors to power....

for wiring id suggest going to a junk yard and getting the harness, your better off.

As for the window not staying it track see if any bolt ar missing anywere on the door mine was missing 2 of the 4 that hold the motor in which caused problems, or it could be the lower channel in the door is mounted at the wrong hole just look at both door and see if there are any differences.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
neverfinished

For the window issue, take the door panel off loosen the bolts that hold the window rails in and move the rails toward the middle of the door. Then slowly lower the window to see if it binds or jumps off the rails again. If it's not binding but still falling off the rails roll it all the way up, reach inside and pull the rear rail toward the middle of the door a tiny bit. Repeat that part until the window stays in the track. If it binds move the front rail out a little.
neverfinished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
jdmaffeo

I have done this to mine as well and I agree with Srubydo1986. I highly recommend that you goto the junk yard and get the harness that goes from one door to the other and the wiring to the fuse panel. Your fuse panel might not have the correct plug in as mine didn't, but you can make it work. There is also a relay of some type that mounts to the brake assembly frame that goes with the wiring harness.

I can't help with the window coming off track, good luck!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
79underconstruction

well i got th window to stay on track finally.. and i got the driver door mounted and adjusted so it actually shuts easy! wow always hadda slam my door .. but anyways i just left the wiring on the inside of the door for now until i can get to the Junk Yard n get a wiring harness for it.. im about to put the other door on in a few mins after i drink a few beers cuz the beer helps! LMAO thanks for the help guys..
79underconstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Whomever swapped the doors with you has the power window harness that you need (unless it was just doors) The power window harness is completely separate from the main harness and it plugs into the fuse box. It can easily be removed from the donor truck without cutting it.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote