The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
OverRunWithSons

Question Buying a 88 Suburban, is EGR valve necessary -or will it hurt motor if plugged up?

I am the wife asking this question..... the Guy selling says the engine light will keep coming on, but this is just due to this EGR valve problem, that he has not fixed in years, and it runs better with it Plugged or not used (I forget what he said). When it was in use, it keep stalling and jerking at traffic lights, etc. No problems after unhooking. I've been reading about these, they sound like a real hassle for some, always getting clogged, plugged with problems. Is it best to just leave it the way it is--not replacing it --not in use. What is purpose of this valve, and if it will not further hurt the vehicle, why do I need it? Thank you.
OverRunWithSons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
ChevyTech

Re: Buying a 88 Suburban, is EGR valve necessary -or will it hurt motor if plugged up?

Will disconnecting the EGR cause a computer code to be set? YES
Can it hurt the engine? YES
Could he have got by with it disconnected for years? YES

Some vehicles will ping without the EGR working properly. Pinging will cause the ESC to back the timing down which hurts efficiency / gas mileage. If allowed to ping excessively a hole in a piston could result.

Here is a website with information about EGR:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/egr.htm

Edit was to fix a word my spell checker switched.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 04-16-2007 at 03:55 PM.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
OverRunWithSons

Re: Buying a 88 Suburban, is EGR valve necessary -or will it hurt motor if plugged up?

Thanks for all of this info, we will have to get this fixed, though it sounds like we have to have the original to know which one works correctly, sounds like they make a ton of these things, how on earth do you know you have the right one --if for example, a wrong one was already put on this old suburban? Don't they go by the year and make of the Suburban to know which valve to use? We have a Chevy '88 Suburban, and we bought this used GMC '88 Suburban , both half ton 4x4's, our Chevy has a Standard Transmission & a working EGR valve, this GMC is a Automatic with it plugged up. WOuld we be able to use the one off of our Chevy --since it is the same year Suburban? My husband was asking ....what is the difference between the Chevy's and GMC's anyway? When the automatic dies in this, he plans to put in the Standard shift from the one we are driving now. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I would suggest buying a Delco EGR to avoid the problems you are having locating the correct valve. The aftermarket EGR valves are one size fits all, so to speak. Your GMC and Chevy vehicles are identical, except minor trim differences.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
ChevyTech

A good GM parts person should be able to look up the correct number for the EGR valve for your truck.

Being one of trucks has a standard transmission, and the other has an automatic, the EGR valve could not only be different numbers, they could be different types, such a positive back pressure, negative backpressure, or port EGR valves.

I also suggest buying only a Delco EGR to avoid problems.

Last edited by ChevyTech; 04-16-2007 at 04:09 PM.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
mosesgt

May I ask what an 88 suburban like you have is worth? A friend just asked me about his. It is a 2 wd that is in fair shape & runs well. Thanks in advance!
#1. -1967 GMC Fleet side, V6, 4 spd, long bed
#2. -1970 International 1 ton dually, flat bed with lift gate $550.- price lowered!!!
#3. -1979 Chevy 1 ton dually, four door with 8' bed.
#4.- 1991 S-10, 4x2, LWB, V-6, auto
#5.- 1986 S-10, 4x2, LWB, V-6, Auto
#1 is with me in Long Beach, MS 39560 (until Uncle Sam lets me go home in SEP '07)- now NOV '07)
Others are at my home in Frazeysburg (near Zanesville), OH 43822
Call after 4 pm (EST) or on weekends! (228) 363-1311
mosesgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
OverRunWithSons

I dont mind any questions, I am happy to be getting answers on here!! I have alot of questions. About 5 years ago, we bought a Standard tranny '88 Chevy Suburban 4x4 with a Snow plow, Alot of miles (over 160,000), cracked windsheild, toe package, needing body work , we spent $2500. Then this one ---the '88 GMC 4x4--also half ton like other, another cracked windshield, rebuilt automatic, needing body work of coarse, 179,000 miles, toe package, we only paid $800 total, motor sounds decent, tranny is a little clunky, it was rebuilt by the guys who had it about 4 yrs ago, they said. We want to find MANAUL window regulators for the 2nd doors (rear doors) for this BUrb, so we can put in winders, I hate the AUto windows. In that LMC parts catalog, these darn things cost $109 each! IS there a place I can do a Wanted AD for these on this site somewhere??? Ebay seems to sell everything else BUT the rear ones for this year. Thanks so much.

Last edited by OverRunWithSons; 04-17-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #8
mosesgt

Thanks! You can do a “want to buy” (WTB) ad in the classified section.

Go to Home page. There you can scroll down and choose:

The 1988-1998 Chevy & GMC Pickups Parts Board
Post Wanted ads and Parts for sale for 1988-1998 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups; 92-99 Suburbans and Tahoes. (Parts or parting out only. Please post all projects and complete Trucks for sale on the Trucks for Sale forum.)

Scroll to bottom of page & hit:

"New Topic" button

From there you can post your want ad. Good luck!
#1. -1967 GMC Fleet side, V6, 4 spd, long bed
#2. -1970 International 1 ton dually, flat bed with lift gate $550.- price lowered!!!
#3. -1979 Chevy 1 ton dually, four door with 8' bed.
#4.- 1991 S-10, 4x2, LWB, V-6, auto
#5.- 1986 S-10, 4x2, LWB, V-6, Auto
#1 is with me in Long Beach, MS 39560 (until Uncle Sam lets me go home in SEP '07)- now NOV '07)
Others are at my home in Frazeysburg (near Zanesville), OH 43822
Call after 4 pm (EST) or on weekends! (228) 363-1311
mosesgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesgt View Post
Thanks! You can do a “want to buy” (WTB) ad in the classified section.
....!
Just so you know, you will have to be a forum subscriber to post a "Wanted to Buy" ad. As you can see the advantages of supporting the forum are huge.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
OverRunWithSons

Question Re: Buying a 88 Suburban, is EGR valve necessary -or will it hurt motor if plugged up?

What is a forum subscriber? How much does that cost? If anyone you know has this, please reply here, I would love to buy this on Ebay, as I use that ALL the time and value the feedback system, I would be a little weary buying any other way, I always use Paypal & a credit card for extra security, how do people buy and sell on here, just on "faith"??
Old 04-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #11
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Yes, but the board also polices itself. There may be some deadbeats, but with this many members, someone generally lives pretty close to the seller, if there is any trouble. A forum subscription is $25 per year.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote