The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
my 85 gmc

Question Lowering question?

Would it be possible to lower the rear suspension on a 85 GMC Sierra Classic 2.5-3 inches using 2 inch drop shackles and removing a spring leaf? If so which spring leaf would you remove The truck has 5 leafs now. Thks Rob
my 85 gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
bwright

Re: Lowering question?

Yes, it would be possible, but I'd get a flip kit instead (easier to install & easier to go lower later).
Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
FlatBrokeRacing

Would it be a must to remove a leaf or are the shackles enough.
FlatBrokeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright View Post
Yes, it would be possible, but I'd get a flip kit instead (easier to install & easier to go lower later).
How would he go about getting the 2.5-3" of drop with a flip kit? That would give him at least 5 inches of drop, wouldn't it?

Slonaker
Old 04-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
benoit454
Chris

I keep seeing ppl saying "flip kit" and I think they just mean a shackle or flipped upside down hangers from the front lol, you know the lowering hangers.

I'm not sure though, I was thinking the exact same though, a flip kit drops it like 6 inches and requires c notch for clearance.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #6
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by my 85 gmc View Post
Would it be possible to lower the rear suspension on a 85 GMC Sierra Classic 2.5-3 inches using 2 inch drop shackles and removing a spring leaf? If so which spring leaf would you remove The truck has 5 leafs now. Thks Rob
I'm thinking a 2" drop shackle will only give you a 1" effective drop without using a drop hanger. To add another 3/4" drop or so the overload leaf spring (bottom-most leaf) can be removed.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
How would he go about getting the 2.5-3" of drop with a flip kit? That would give him at least 5 inches of drop, wouldn't it?

Slonaker
Slon, one guess is to replace the stock hanger with a 4x4 hanger, since they are taller. I'm not certain as to what the final drop would be.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
my 85 gmc

The reason I'am wanting 2.5-3 inches of drop in the rear is because i would like to buy 2.5 inch dropped spindles so I can run my 8 inch rally wheels(which have new GM centers, trim rings and tires) till I decide which wheels I want. But my other problem is wanted to buy Western Chassis spindles but can't find someone who will ship them to Eastern Canada. Early Classic Enterprises lists 2.5 inch spindles for 73-87 chevy trucks and so does GMC Paul's(not sure what brand) does anyone have input on these products? Thks Rob
my 85 gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

Sport Truck Direct sells Western Chassis spindles, and I am sure they would ship to Canada. Try them.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
Slon, one guess is to replace the stock hanger with a 4x4 hanger, since they are taller. I'm not certain as to what the final drop would be.
But that's not a flip kit...

Slonaker
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #11
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by my 85 gmc View Post
The reason I'am wanting 2.5-3 inches of drop in the rear is because i would like to buy 2.5 inch dropped spindles so I can run my 8 inch rally wheels(which have new GM centers, trim rings and tires) till I decide which wheels I want. But my other problem is wanted to buy Western Chassis spindles but can't find someone who will ship them to Eastern Canada. Early Classic Enterprises lists 2.5 inch spindles for 73-87 chevy trucks and so does GMC Paul's(not sure what brand) does anyone have input on these products? Thks Rob
I bought my WC spindles from http://www.performancesuspension.com/. No problems with them or the WC parts. I don't know if they ship to Canada.

I think someone sells a set of shackles/hangers that has a couple of adjustment holes to choose from. That would allow you to choose 3" or 4" of drop for the rear. I can't remember which manufacturer has the adjustable setup, but I bet someone here knows.

Slonaker
Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker View Post
But that's not a flip kit...

Slonaker
My guess was to imply that a flip kit could be used to get a 5"-6" drop, then use a 4x4 hanger to raise the drop back up a couple of inches or so to lessen the overall drop.