The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2002, 09:17 AM   #1
BigRed

Weird noice has me worried!

Ok, every morning and afternoon this week when I have started my engine, my truck makes a weird whining noise. It only lasts about 1 - 2 seconds but sounds much like a supercharger whine. If only it was a supercharger whine! Anyway, not sure what this could be but makes me worry that maybe it's engine related. I thought it could be the power steering pump, but the fluid is good, it works fine, and doesn't leak. I don't have AC, so you can rule that out. Can anyone offer some insight?

Thanks, Scott
Old 11-27-2002, 03:39 PM   #2
Txstruck

If it only happens when you start it, Then it could be the starter. Sometimes, like when the bendix is going bad, the starter will spin but not shoot into the fly wheel and it will whine. Maybe the starter is trying to go out.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:42 PM   #3
BigRed

Thanks Steve. It actually happened to me yesterday while accelerating from a stop sign right by work. So, I think that rules out the starter.

The consensus from CT is that it's either my torque convertor or front tranny pump. That makes sense, since my tranny is slipping when cold and slowly going bad on me. However, I've never heard of them making these whining noises. But then again, I'm a relative rooky at this.

Thanks again, Scott
Old 11-27-2002, 09:31 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

noise

its possible it could be a bearing in any of the belt driven accessories or it could be the bendix int he starter but it seems to have been ruled out by your description.

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 11:32 PM   #5
Bowed

Sounds like may be the transmission pump is loosing its prime and is pulling some air.

Last edited by Bowed; 11-29-2002 at 11:34 PM.
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote