The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2007, 05:29 AM   #1
AceX
>130dB Moderator

My truck; Q&A

I feel like such a jackass as I'm typing this, but I feel that there is enough interest in my truck (thread hijack count: 3) that maybe I should tell its story and open it up to some Q&A.

The story:

I bought this little Silverado for $1000 from my uncle who had purchased it when it was brand new back in 1985. It was the first vehicle he had every bought brand new off the lot. He originally intended for it to be used as his shop truck. He and my grandfather ran a VERY reputable truck repair shop in Woodland, California. The shop was owned by my family for 57 years until my uncle finally decided to retire at age 55. With the sale came a huge liquidation of parts, tools, and work vehicles. One of these vehicles, is the truck that I now own...

I bought this beauty on July 5th, 2006. It was two days before I fell asleep at the wheel of my beloved 1986 MR2 and crashed it into a guard rail. At this point, my father is convinced it was fate for me to have this truck...

After coping with the loss of my MR2, I decided to focus on the truck. I didn't want to turn it into a big project like the MR2 was and my 1954 GMC is. Just a few mods; lowering kit, bed liner, small stereo, and alittle engine work were all I wanted, then low-and-behold, my father bought me my first issue of "Truckin'" magazine. In the back of the magazine was an orange 1985 Silverado that was slammed on the ground with a stock body and interior. It was then that I caved in and decided to take the truck seriously...

Several months and many $$$ later, I now have something that is truly special to myself and everyone my family has ever done business with. This truck seems to bring me into contact with some of the greatest people I have ever met.

Every week there is an offer from someone to buy the truck (highest offer thus far: $10,000). It fills me with pride to know that other people appreciate this truck. It makes those late night spent detailing it worth it.

Now, for the pics...

Specs:

1985 Silverado 1/2ton w/ tow package
305ci motor (mostly stock)

A/C system converted to R134
A/C hardlines polished
Powermaster 140amp Alternator (powder coated black)

K&N replacement air filter
Custom stealthd 2.5" cat-back exhaust system (no tips; pipe is cut off 1/4 inch below bed side panel, just above stock location; removable Cat-delete pipe)

Belltech lowering kit (2/4 drop)
15x10 American Racing wheels with BFG Radial T/A's (255/60/15 front; 275/60/15 rear)

Pioneer DEH 880PRS headunit
Arc Audio FD4100 amplifier
Pioneer 10" shallow mount subwoofers (2)
MB Quart Premium 5.25" component set (tweeters mounting in dash in stock speaker locations)
MB Quart Q-Series 6.5" component set (mounted in doors)

Still to come:

Various powder coated pieces under the hood
Welded in tie-down hooks in bed
Spray-on bedliner
Hidden hitch
Minor bodywork and paint.
Restore interior
Arc Audio FD600.1 amplifier (signed by Chip Foose)
Kinetik Cap Killer battery

Last edited by AceX; 04-17-2007 at 05:32 AM.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
GMC350

Re: My truck; Q&A

Wow....
GMC350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Pretty cool story, and a really nice truck. I especially like the wheels.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
75shortysocal
350+dual flows= fun :)

sweet, ill take a box in light gray

lol
Old 04-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Nice!!! I like those Ole Skool Rim and Tire setups did you have any problems putting in those speakers in the lower door panels with the power windows, i'm still running the R12 in my AC, what is done to convert over to the R134 set up, nice set up Ace.
John
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post
Nice!!! I like those Ole Skool Rim and Tire setups did you have any problems putting in those speakers in the lower door panels with the power windows, i'm still running the R12 in my AC, what is done to convert over to the R134 set up, nice set up Ace.
John
I have manual windows, so unfortunately I can't answer that question.

To convert the A/C system to R134, you need to replace the compressor, accumulator, and all the O-rings. Also, some small fittings need to be added to the feed/return lines that run along the inner fender well. R134 operates at much highers pressure levels when compared to R12. I had the entire system pressure tested before I did any work to it so that way I would know what I was up against as far as any repairs to the structural integrity of the system.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

you seriously got offered 10 grand for that truck out in Sac? I'm going tohave to start driving my truck out there.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

Man, this just shows the versatility of these trucks--they can look good on old school 15s with white letters or laying frame on 20/22s. Not to mention the 4x4s!
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 AM   #9
benoit454
Chris

It's a very nice truck man, love it.

I'm gonna have to copy some ideas though and get some 275's or maybe 295's for our 84. Probably 255 up to 275 since we'll be running 8 inch rims.

Also later I am thinking about swapping over to the shallow mount pioneers or kickers. I wondered how the pioneers sounded because they are cheaper, and I was going to get some along time ago. I have pioneer cd player and speakers and LOVE em, if the subs are as good I'd love them too.

Right now I got this hacked up sub box with 2 oz audio 10's that barely fit, but don't have enough air space.

I'm also wanting to add some componets in the kick panels, LOl I already have some mb quart 6-1/2's I was going to put in there.

Did you cut holes to mount yours? Like in the metal structure itself?

Oh yea don't forget man, order some offset washers for your wheels lol.

Water spots on polished alum. sucks. Everytime I pop the hood on my monte carlo, all I see is water marks on my valve covers.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
AceX
>130dB Moderator

The 275's fit absolutely perfect out back. Any wider and they would stick outside the wheel wells. 255's upfront on a set of 8" wheels wil look alright. I'm not sure if you could get a 275 series tires on an 8" wide wheel...

I've heard both the Kicker and the Pioneer shallow mount subs and honestly, there really isn't much of any difference between the two. If you already have a bunch of Pioneer gear in your truck, then go with those.

For the kick panels, I had to cut holes in the metal so the speakers could fit flush. I'm not exactly sure how much room is left behind them. I layed down Dynamat behind them. Mounting the tweeters in the dash makes a world of difference...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #11
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

I am in awe, good sir...

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Nice truck. Great story...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 PM   #13
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

yeah, very nice truck

maybe i need to make a trip to California and maybe someone will offer me 10k for mine?
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:30 AM   #14
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I'm sorry I haven't posted new pics yet, but my allergies have been doing their best to keep me miserable for the past 2-3 days.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 04-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
benoit454
Chris

Hey acex,

if your wheels are made like theese where the lug nuts go, thoose crager washers I posted a link to would work perfect for filling up the holes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ansen...spagenameZWDVW

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #16
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

AceX -
Nice looking truck with character...
Thanks for sharing the pics and the write-up.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote