The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
fris_94

1983 chev distributor

do the 1983 chevy's run points or HEI. the distributor on my truck still has the stock distributor and i'm just wondering. if its running points then i think the points need to be changed. for one my truck keeps dying on me when i come to a stop in damp and wet weather. the other thing is that i got pre-ignition and ive tried a lot of things to fix it. running supreme gas, cleaned out the carb and combustion chamber of any carbon, etc. just wondering about whether its points or hei.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Re: 1983 chev distributor

HEI...try changing your cap, bug, and rotor...also...might wanna fiddle a bit with how the distributor is set (by turning it either clockwise or counter clockwise). that usually does the trick on my beautiful 83.

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: 1983 chev distributor

if its stock its HEI its easy to tell because the coil pack is ontop of the distributor as opposed to a seperate ignition coil mounted on the intake or the block depending on your motor

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote