The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #26
Terraizer

Re: diesel conversion

The 89-93 dodge trucks suspensions aren't to much beefer then the GM stuff, the 3/4 ton diesels suspension is more like a 1ton on the gassers The first Gen dodge Cummins diesel where just gas trucks stuffed with a diesel, where the 94+ dodges where designed for the diesel. The 4BT can be found in bread vans, some in ford chassis vans and some in Gm chassis vans, the Gm chassised ones used a TH475 (beefer TH400 and SM465 4-speeds, both with Small block GM bolt patterns, the most common 4BT is the CPL858 non intercooled, VE pumped engine, they are rated at 105HP at 2100 or so RPM, but are around 300 torque at 1600 or so RPM, These use the same VE style pump that the 1989-1993 dodges use so there alot of free power with just simple timming and pump tweeks. The inter cooled 4BT's are 120 HP. Hope some of this info helps. To buy one out right they can be pretty pricey, just look around and you can find pretty good deals on them from time to time, i got mine for about $300 complete with alot of new parts (i traded a scout that i bought for $300 for it) Stay away from the genarater and Marine 4BT's and 6BT's they use a different pump thats not suited for auto apps
Old 04-20-2007, 03:22 AM   #27
1969 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'l Buck View Post
I'm thinkin' Duramax!!
While it would be cool to see a D-Max swapped into an older truck, and I'm sure it has been done before, it would be a heck of a lot more work.

The beauty of the Cummins swap is that they will drop right in with the right parts, and no wiring nightmares (I hate electrical stuff). Google cummins 4bt and there is at least one Yahoo! group about them. Most of the guys there have swapped them into Toyota Land Cruisers.

I have been toying with the idea of a 4bt swap for my truck, and the best way that I've found to get one is to buy a complete running driving ex-delivery stepvan. Word in the grapevine is that you can buy retired units from Frito Lay for a decent price. Then you get everything you need for the conversion, plus a heck of a lot of aluminum body for scrap (haven't checked scrap prices in a while, but anything aluminum is $$$).

One concern I'd have is frame strength. Might want to box it in if you're gonna run a 6bt, and possibly even a 4bt. I only say this because we all know what kind of chintzy crapola compressed rust the General used for frames in these trucks.

EDIT: there is a member here who is swapping a 4bt into a K10. Charlieo is him, iirc.

Good luck.

Last edited by 1969 GMC; 04-20-2007 at 03:24 AM.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #28
fast69

Thanks to all for the info. I am hoping to get started real soon on this project. I would have posted pics of my ride but I am new to using forums an d I have not quite figured that part out yet. I will tell you that it is a 69 long bed that needs the normal stuff (cabs and rockers) And also maybe a new bed.My plan for the bed is to use stepside fenders and make it a dually. The truck is curenty a half ton but will be boxed and converted into a 3/4 ton. This will be pretty cheap to do as I have a rtted out 73 dually for a done. I will post pics as soon as I find out how. Thanks again for all your help.
fast69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

The 88-93 Dodge front suspension isn`t any beefier than a 67/72 GM by comparison.I`m sure a pair of 1t coils would do the jo.And,I never heard of f/e or frame issues on 88-93 Cummins Dodges.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #30
quadiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'l Buck View Post
I'm thinkin' Duramax!!
I know I guy here in Alberta that sells Duramax conversion kits for 95-99 style gm trucks, the hardest part of the the conversion would be figuring out a way to mount the instrument cluster in the 69'. The instrument cluster is necessary for the electronics system to function. It actually fits quite well into the 95-99 style.

He sells the kits for $15,000.00 cnd which includes everything,Duramax, allison trans, T/case, proper length drive shafts. all electronics and instrument cluster. all items are removed from low mileage units with body damage.
quadiak is offline   Reply With Quote