The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
jlmerie

Woodgrain tailgate panel

I recently found another truck that I thought I needed. It is a 1972 Cheyenne Super. It is a LWB, two tone green and white. I was happy to find what appears to be a real Super and brought it home. I have a question about the woodgrain tailgate panel. I put new woodgrain on my GMC Sierra Grande last year. I took the screws out of the panel itselt. Then I turned it over and removed the screws from the GMC letters that were on the panel. I had an extra woodgrain sticker for the tailgate panel so I was going to do the same for the Chevy. When I took the panel off, I found the Chevrolet letters were riveted onto the panel. Was this correct, or has someone changed this at some point? In any event what is the best way to remove the letters and then reattach them? Also, I have all the letters except the "C". Is there anyplace I can get a singel letter instead of a complete set?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
MT1972cheyenne

Re: Woodgrain tailgate panel

I've never seen the GMC one, but the Chevrolet ones I have seen are riveted. I don't have much advice on removing & replacing. Sorry
MT1972cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Grind to remove.Drill and tap to re-install.You`ll have to seek out the letters used.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerie View Post
I recently found another truck that I thought I needed. It is a 1972 Cheyenne Super. It is a LWB, two tone green and white. I was happy to find what appears to be a real Super and brought it home. I have a question about the woodgrain tailgate panel. I put new woodgrain on my GMC Sierra Grande last year. I took the screws out of the panel itselt. Then I turned it over and removed the screws from the GMC letters that were on the panel. I had an extra woodgrain sticker for the tailgate panel so I was going to do the same for the Chevy. When I took the panel off, I found the Chevrolet letters were riveted onto the panel. Was this correct, or has someone changed this at some point? In any event what is the best way to remove the letters and then reattach them? Also, I have all the letters except the "C". Is there anyplace I can get a singel letter instead of a complete set?
Where did you get the woodgrain sticker?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
bcanini
"Taste It"

I found the woodgrain sticker @ the truckshop 14 bucks I think.

www.truckandcarshop.com

Brian

2007 Silverado Crew with the MAX Pack and loaded
2007 CX-9
"Hopefully when I die.. my wife wont sell my stuff for what I said I paid for it"

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
bcanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
roughedup72

check here for your new letters. www.chevyduty.com I think the link will still work. It may be www.classicparts.com somebody will let you know if I'm wrong.
http://www.classicparts.com/products.asp?dept=322

Thats the link you want.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.

Last edited by roughedup72; 04-24-2007 at 10:42 PM.
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote