The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2007, 01:18 AM   #26
GREASEMONKEY72

Re: Gear Drives...Yay or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharcydekm View Post
My question since I am getting ready to order one of these. On a DD would you do a quiet or noisy and for what reasons? Does the quiet still make noise? Thank you for you input I have only run double rollers in the past.
the noisey ones are called that for a reason and if its on your DD then id probly go with one of the quieter ones but it all depends on your tastes and your patence with things like that, for example if you still love the sound of your exhaust as you did when you first put them on then go with a noisey one if not then go with a quieter one

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:20 AM   #27
GREASEMONKEY72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINJASON22 View Post
They do transfer harmonics more than a chain will just common friction steel to steel so to speak rather than the give of the chain Greasemonkey72. BUT if they cause damage from it there were other underlying problems to begin with IMO, that would have shown up sooner or later.
thats what i was thinking and why i didnt get what he was saying

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 05-08-2007, 03:34 AM   #28
70stroker

Ive had 2 one in m 70 gmc it was queit. and one in m 89 swb that was noisy. I loved the sound when i was back in high school ( now im 19) everyone would ask is that supercharged and id just smile and leave it a mystery.

However i always found it a pain in the butt to find exshaust leaks or lifter ticks or anyother noise over the whine.

They are very cool in my opinion i drove both these trucks off and on from my sophmore year till about 6 months after graduation. But within the last year i yanked them both for double rollers. IMO there is no sound like the nice lope of a good size cam. I personally think both motors sound better now without them. Also the 70 has 40 series and he 89 has 50 series flowmasters.

I found out in the 89 that i had shavings in the oil so yanked the motor to check the bearings i later found out it was the timing chain rubbing the cover. thats why i yanked that one out. the 70 was just to hear the cam.

both where pete jacksons.
70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #29
Psycho71

I'm considering using the Quiet(er) version on my motor upgrade, if I ever get that far. I like the sound, the timing accuracy, and the durability factor. I know, motors have run for 100,000's of miles with stock single chains, and had no problems. But like I said, I like the way they sound. And if anyone gives me a hard time about not having the blower to go with the sound, I'll just point to the NOS silenoids on the firewall and ask'em if they want some.

I would run a chain before using one of the noisy(er) ones though. You can hear those things a mile away, with open headers. They would definitely bug the hell out of me after a while. And I'll definitely run the Pete Jackson brand, for two reasons. 1. Pete Jackson originated them. I like support inovators myself. 2. Quality! Every other one I've seen just looks cheaply made.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #30
Alvin
Never Done?

my favorite car in town is a 57 chevy belair with a 6-71 blower, noisy gear drive, and a muncie 4spd (loud gears). You can barely hear the exhaust if he's just puttin' along. It's gear whine as he approaches, gear whine as he drives by, and gear whine as he drives off.

Apparently my engine has a noisy gear drive in it, but I haven' fired it yet, so I don't know what it's gonna be like.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #31
BigTruckDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY72 View Post
the harmonics in the engine as in the balance of the engine? and if so how would the gear drive hurt it?
Most reputable engine builders will not use them. By Harmonics, when the cylinder fires that explosion has a direct link to the valve train, 8X5500 rpm. The double roller chain or belt drive would be best. Then again if all you are after is all show then I have talk to a few engine builders and they have also seen damage cause to lifters and cam lobes after using gear drives. Dont take my word for it, do some research.

Last edited by BigTruckDriver; 05-08-2007 at 12:01 PM.
BigTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #32
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

I had one of the noisy ones in my V8 S10 Blazer. It sucked, engine noise diagnosis is impossible, and the constant whine at 65+ gets annoying real fast. That was with headers, 40 series flows and no converters. The quiet one might be O.K.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #33
dubs68SWB

I say hell ya on the noisey gear drive and here's my proof. It's obviously a personal preference......just like why I run 15.5's for rear tires!!!

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...ent=460BBC.flv
dubs68SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #34
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

I had a quiet PJ in my 71 Elky many years ago. Although it was the quiet, it still got annoying after time.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #35
Southedisto
River life......

I have a noisy gear drive, and like it now. At first it's annoying, and I wanted to swap it out, but after driving it for over 1k miles this past weekend I am keeping it.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #36
Slammed70

I got one sitting in my tool box for a SBC....but alas, I dont have a SBC to put it in. But the TBI 454 im slowly throwing parts at to get it ready for the FI swap....its definitly gonna get one, the LOUD one too, I love it.

Also, I got full(had) length headers, dual Dynomax Bullet mufflers, dumping into about a foot of pipe then turned down and pointed out. It was loud standing outside the car....but barely audible on the inside.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #37
shortbed70

Do a search.. I had one and it was ok for two reasons. #1 attention,#2 noise.
It was also bad #1 ATTENTION (cops) #2 NOISE ( early morning startups)
Put on in and enjoy but be careful because if you go noisy cops can hear you for miles...
Hey slammed70 I just seen you are in KS were is cheney?

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274

Last edited by shortbed70; 05-08-2007 at 08:52 PM.
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #38
gator2511

Smile Re: Gear Drives...Yay or Nay?

I put one on when I built my engine for my 64 Vette. I took it down to the local car show and it was the hit of the week. You couldn't stand on opposite sides of the engine bay and hear each other with it running. Of course it had side pipes with glass packs under the covers. I called the speed shop owner and told him it was too loud and he said to bring it on down. When I got there he was laughing and said he could hear me coming for three blocks! He gave me a double roller chain and gears and I gave the gear drive back to him. It was WAAAAAAAY to loud for me. Funny thing is a few days later a guy came in to the speed shop and said he wanted a gear drive like the one he saw on a maroon vette at the local car show! Jeff sold my old gear drive to the guy. I don't want any more.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #39
Slammed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed70 View Post
Hey slammed70 I just seen you are in KS were is cheney?
About 30 miles west of Wichita
Old 05-09-2007, 01:29 AM   #40
GREASEMONKEY72

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2511 View Post
I put one on when I built my engine for my 64 Vette. I took it down to the local car show and it was the hit of the week. You couldn't stand on opposite sides of the engine bay and hear each other with it running. Of course it had side pipes with glass packs under the covers. I called the speed shop owner and told him it was too loud and he said to bring it on down. When I got there he was laughing and said he could hear me coming for three blocks! He gave me a double roller chain and gears and I gave the gear drive back to him. It was WAAAAAAAY to loud for me. Funny thing is a few days later a guy came in to the speed shop and said he wanted a gear drive like the one he saw on a maroon vette at the local car show! Jeff sold my old gear drive to the guy. I don't want any more.
sounds like he got more then he expectted to get by getting thee one out of your car

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME