The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
tracterman2

Talking whats in an "original"??

I don't know if this will fly or not...but I have a 1970 Custom/10 that I'm trying to go back to orginal on. I'm interested in seeing or hearing about things that make these trucks orgriginal. Anything that you think if this isn't right...its not original. Which that could be anything I know...but people have different opinions of this. Maybe even information that is sometimes overlooked by people about the original trucks. Did they all come with white walls? or was this an up grade? What about the mirrors...mine is green and the mirror arm is green but he head is rust...so...what color was it?? mine entire truck is green...no white top on mine. Anything goes on this thread...just keep it original. Any specs, any parts, anything interesting you have learned and did not know before. Any stories behind trucks...I have all the tickets and papers all the way until 93 when it was parked...I can tell you every part that had been replaced on the truck...really neat actually, I know every state it has lived in...south dakota most of its life. What about rear bumpers?? did most of these come out with the little white step bumper with the dealers names engraved in them?? or did the bumper get put on by the dearler?? or were most of the bumpers the ones with out the step...that we see in our resto books. Any info, stories, pictures appreciated lets just see and hear about the originals, or restored originals.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: whats in an "original"??

Can you post a couple pics of your truck for us?
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Pictures and the VIN-spec info off of the glovebox door will get us started.The whitewalls were an option.On a truck with painted mirrors,bumpers,and hubcaps that stuff would be white on a`70.We need to establish the model/trim level it is:C/10,Custom/10,CustomCamper/10,or CST/10.The only bumpers that came from factory were the painted or chrome sport bumpers that match the front style.Bumpers were optional and step bumpers were dealer add-ons until`72.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
tracterman2

here are a few pics...I haven't taken any since I've started redoing it...nothing on the body. Mostly getting it running and getting everything working right again. It has been sitting for 15 years...so there is alot to go through. I need to take some new pics also. And I'm not talking about just my truck in particular...just anyones trucks....pics of orginals...restored trucks...engines...interiors....information...stories...anything like that. Mine is a custom 10 with a 307 and powerglide. I'll post newer pictures soon...but this thread isn't for me or my truck...I want to hear anything about originals...more of a conversation and pictures thread than anything for me...but you can buzz in about mine too if you would like..
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
tracterman2

its a custom/10 and has nearly no options...I'll get the VIN and all soon. The truck doesn't look like that now..that was the day I picked up back in January...its on blocks with a running motor and is cleaned up a bit. Its also under a shed now. all that is left is redoing my brakes and getting the wheels painted and tires on..then its driveable.

There again...I would like this to be about the originals in general...not just mine
Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Ace in the hole

I have a 1970 k20 in about the same shape, maybe even a little worse . Good luck with your project, looking forward to getting started on mine too. I would be interested if someone knows a web site with pics of the factory 2 tone paint schemes for these trucks. I am thinking there was white top/body color, white top/middle stripe & body color, white top/lower stripe & body color but I am not sure.
Ace in the hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
tracterman2

I know there are factory paint jobs like that...don't know the exacts on it..I always liked the white top with blue body...thought about doing mine that way but its so close to original I'm going to keep it that way...mine has one spot of rust on the drivers rocker and thats it....the body is solid and straight..not one dent in it...the seat has one tear in it and is otherwise perfect...everything in it works...I know the pics look bad...but its really in better shape than the pics show...and I got it for 500 bucks...good luck with yours...you have any pictures of it??
Old 05-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Your truck is Dark Green,otherwise known as Woodland Green over the years.It still is a Fleet Program commercial color.Your`s is pretty original,now.I have hot rodding in my blood and have a hard time leaving them alone.But,I love stockers,and even more as the time goes by.Your motor was standard for a V8 truck(VIN:CE1.....)and the Powerglide is an option.Until now I thoughr`69 was the last year.So,I learned that about the P/G.I thought the Beltline Mouldings were standard on a Custom,but it was always listed as an option.Never put that together till now.I guess it was standard on the CSTs.If you had those mouldings,then the mouldings around the tail lamps and around the tailgate(including lower)would have been included.You have the radio,gauges,and Custom Comfort & Convenience pkg.You should have the seat with the lacey nylon fabric panels and full foam.I have originals saved,but mostly are hard to find in my collection.There were a few on here lately.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

First off tracterman2 I want to say this so this is not taken the wrong way.

"I love these trucks restored to the original glory"

Second I have a question. What you are after with your original restored truck?

Here's why my Dad is into the "Original" thing and I mean bad.

Car shows and such, Are you after "completely Original" for shows and judging or a nice original looking Driver.

If you are after either I say you have a good start in your truck, being so nice and original to start with.

The "factory original" car show classes can get to be a real pain, FUN but a pain.

They check everything at the bigger shows and I mean everything right down to the bolts used and if the oil filter has had a part# change they want the old part# on there to score the highest points

Personally It all makes my head hurt but, thats just me. I would rather see a nice restored daily driver myself. Sometimes when you go to the trouble of restoring them to factory spec it makes you afraid to enjoy them.

Here's a pic of a memebers truck at his first show and he came home with a tropy or award of some sort and I love this truck. Sorry to him and you for the life of me I can't remember his name.

Anyway I hope it sheds some light on things.

RJ22

EDIT: BTW "I'm Your Huckleberry." one of the all time greatest movie quotes there is
Attached Images

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!

Last edited by RACINJASON22; 05-14-2007 at 02:58 PM.
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
tracterman2

not taken the wrong way...it is going to be an original daily driver rig...not a show truck...just want to do it right. More of a conversation piece, ecspecially with all the paper work I have...even has the jack and all that was still in styrofoam...never been used. The truck looks alot different now...need new pics. Also that is "yellers" truck...don't kwow the rest of the handle...but I know who is is on here...I have drooled over that truck for a LONG time...lol. Thanks for the comments. There again...not a thread for my truck...just general info on originals....stories...pics....and the such. I don't mind finding out about my truck but I want to just hear stuff about originals....why they went that route...what all they went through to get it there...the history of the truck...that sort of thing....and any tid bits of info or lengths you had to through to get it there. Thanks alot though!!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
Ace in the hole

I would say you did good at $500. I got mine for $650. Still runs good and I drove it home but she needs a lot of love. Some one before me repainted it and it's not the original color. I don't think it came from the factory with a white top either.

Here she is:
Attached Images

Ace in the hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
SacramentoJoe
Always Fixing Things

I certainly appreciate threads like this one.

RJ22 - I agree with you and I have taken the restored daily driver approach for my old truck.

I have joked that I didn't want to cover up the character of my old truck with my body work, since every one of those spots is a specific memory of my life (or family member) with the truck. But kidding aside, everyone of these trucks has a unique character that I can appreciate.

I have taken the same approach with the interior. I have replaced/repaired the items that bothered ME. I have tried to keep "original" as the theme. It is far from perfect but still, it makes me feel good when I look at it.

I can give you 39 years of history and stories, but the post gets realllllly long!

You might find it hard to believe, but I miss the weathered look of my old paint. Talk about character! This picture was from over 20 years ago.

Get 'em on the road, clean the windows, and enjoy the character of these beauties.
Attached Images

Last edited by SacramentoJoe; 05-16-2007 at 12:39 AM.
SacramentoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #13
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I'm am doing a 100 pt. stock restoration on my '68 50th Anniversary Longhorn because I have all the history and know the original owner. My big block 50th Anniversary Longhorn is getting the stock "daily driver" upgrades like 460 ci big block, disc brakes, '68 buckets, HEI, everything that I want that was not on the SPID...LOL! I want it to look completely stock but be upgraded so it behaves more like a late model truck.

Get on eBay and get an original brochure for your year. Get a free Restoration Guide from Chevrolet. It is a great source of information. Look up the "800" nuimber in the FAQ section.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 05-14-2007 at 08:28 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote