The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Unhappy valve cover bolt ??? & help....

all,
well i was going to fire her up last night & go for a quick spin & luckily i thought that i better look under the hood & make sure everything is ok! (it had been a few weeks since i drove her) well i did & i found atleast 2 valve cover bolts were broke off!! now i need to use a extractor (?) & get the broke bolts out of the cylinder head!!! (insert bad words here). the bolts were arp allen head bolts that allow the nut to slip over them & tighten from down. my heads are dart iron eagle II. it is a 383 bore. i have billet valve covers (smooth) i am wondering if any of you guys ever had a similar situation & what exactly you did to fix it?? & also if you guys can give me some helpful do's & dont's???

thanks for any input & guidance...

rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
jimmydean

Re: valve cover bolt ??? & help....

If it's flush, the only thing to do is to drill/tap/extract it. I have an extractor kit, but with ARP bolts, you will want to drill the pilot hole as deep as you can so the extractor gets as much surface area it can.

I broke an extractor off in a head bolt years ago. You will not be able to get the busted extractor out.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

A set of left hand fluted drill bits would be handy right about now.I don't have a set either but they cut with the drill motor in reverse.That way if the bit hangs up and turns the bolt it turns it out.A right hand one will tighten if it hangs.I have had extractors break off in the hole before.It takes some work to break them up with a punch and then you use a magnet to bring the pieces out.After that you still have to go through the extractor routine.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 05-17-2007 at 06:02 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
mrein3

Before you try an extractor, try a flat head screwdriver. I know you aren't using stock fasteners, but if you were, they don't bottom out. If you break one off it is usually loose in the hole. If you fiddle around with a flat screwediver, you usually can catch a hunk of the fastener and turn it out.

I would spend a couple of minutes with that technique before you try to drill and use an extractor.
Center City, MN

Last edited by mrein3; 05-17-2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Just pull the heads, box them up and send them to me…I’ll send you some stock cast iron heads right back ready to install!

I’m still baffled that they broke. What do you think caused it?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
Fastfun

I have some extractors and the drill bits for them if you want to barrow them
Fastfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #7
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

I had one break off ( because I didn't know my own strength ) I broke off the extractor drilled the hole and put in a helicoil. sux but when we were working out the old extractor it got off center and messed up the hole. Now it works fine I just use studs now. That way I'm not turning the bolt in the helicoil too much.

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
rlm316

You could also use a dremmel and cut a slot in the bolt so it could be turned out with a screwdriver.
rlm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

fastfun, thanks for the offer, but i went down to lowe's & picked 1 up last night. by the way how are things going?? i still want to meet up with you again...

all, thanks for the hints & other experiences. keep the ideas coming please. i think that i might try the idea from rlm316 first, then i guess i will try the regular extractor. by chance do any of you know how i can try to keep the drill going down the "center" of the bolt????
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
jamesi20

try to center punch it first...this will serve two purposes help to keep your drill from walking off center and the impact will help loosen the bolt
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
krue
Designated A-hole!

The lefthanded drill bit works, I have used it to remove bracket bolts that broke off flush with the head. I didn't have to drill more than an 1/8" deep either time, the drill bit turned the bolt enough that I could get a pair of pliers on it and unscrew it the rest of the way myself.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

well i have some bad news & some god news. i was able to get 1 of the bolts out of the head. it had enough meat on it that i could get vise grips on it & turn with a pr. of channel locks. the bad news is that i tried all the above ideas for the bolt that is flush with the head surface & nothing worked. i broke 2 carbide bits trying to drill a hole in the center of the bolt. with out even making a scratch in the bolt!! so i am kinda stuck. i am going to see if the place that built the motor for me will do it for me. i am hoping that it will be below $200. this is really getting me down! i just got it on the road 4 mo. ago. & now i am stuck with this. when i told the engine builder he was like "i never heard about the bolts breaking drill bits before - huh!" i should be used to this because with my luck this stuff always happens to me!!! if someone says "that could never happen" well i will somehow find a way to make it happen... bad that is... anyways for what its worth i just wanted to share with you guys. maybe i will start a thread about how many of us have stupid horror stories like this ...

thanks for listening...
rodstored-72