The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2002, 02:15 AM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs up In case you missed it...the Caddy engine is bolted in!

Yup...nothing but GM parts too. (the sticker said keep my GM truck all GM)

You can see here the placement and the cutting I did to the towers. The lower front corner was cut off with a plazma cutter and then cleaned up till it looked stiock, then I hogged out the two motor mount holes and connected them witht eh plazma cutter.
In reality, I should have trimmed up beyond the upper hole too. When i was dropping the engine into the frame rails, I had to 1/2 way remove a mount from the engine and convince it to go in. IF this pig ever comes out again, I will re-enginear the towers.

This is the part where my wife grabs my digi-cam and tells me to pose. I don't think she realizes I had been out in the 30 degree weather (plus 15 to 25 MPH winds) for about 2 hrs at this point.

You can't see the motor mounts bolted in...so you'll have to take my word for it.
The tranny guy never showed up the other day, and plus my fundage to seal up the tranny is all gone now too. However...the bottle jack is keeping the engine level quite nicely.
After this, it wa s a huge MILLER TIME. I went to bed happy and visioned burnouts every time my eyes shut. My wife said I have issues, but the voices in my head were saying VROOM VROOM...and in a very manly engine sound too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:05 AM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

way too cool

other then yukons jacks post yours is another project i look foward to reading about. man i bet thats one great relief. motor lookin goood in place. Cool gloves. good job man keep us posted.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:56 AM   #3
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Wow, that's awsome Andy!!!
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:21 AM   #4
hanssolo

Which engine is it Andy? Looks like stump-pulling time.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:36 AM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Lookin good Andy! I need to invest in a set of insulated coveralls. ......got the garage full,& will be doing my oil changes & minor stuff in the snowbank this yr
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:10 AM   #6
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

That's one phat motor if I don't say so myself. She's definitely gonna be unique. I'm like you, my mind is filled with vroom, vrooms too!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:37 PM   #7
Terry'sToy

Cool!! Looks great. Will the heater box fit back in?? Man those motors are wide.
Don't worry my wife is certain that I have issues too. I don't know what she's getting at seeing as trucks were here first weren't they???

Have fun
Terry
Old 12-03-2002, 11:02 PM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Looking good Andy (the truck). Maybe I'll see it fly by me inside of the GMC this summer.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:15 AM   #9
Longhorn Man

Terry, I tossed the heater box on there a few weeks ago becouse I wasn't quite sure myself, but it fir no problem. This pic is with the engine about 3/8 inch higher than it is now.

Palf70...your more than welcome to make a p!ss stop here if you wanna stop by on your way through. I'm on the south wst side of Cols. about 6 miles south of I-70...exit 5 on I-270.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:24 AM   #10
Terry'sToy

Sh!t you have lots of room. Cool. Man I can't wait to see the first big smokey burnout posted on here. Keep the toque on tight.
I'm workin outside too.
Terry
Old 12-04-2002, 03:06 PM   #11
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Lookin' good!

I'm all set to start my swap Friday. Before I even started this I know exactly what to do. Your posts and pics have been a huge help!

How are you planning on running your heater lines? That is about the only thing I haven't figured out yet.
Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 05:20 PM   #12
larouchedem

swap - carb adapter

Hi Andy,

Looks good. Fyi - I swapped a $100 500 into a
'71 C20 a while back. It was a blast. I loved the old beater, but I had to sell it to help finance my current "frame off" C10 project.

I see one thing you might want to deal with though.

The open carb adapter is a bad thing. The flat part of the intake at the old carb location will cause mucho turbulence. If you want to deal with it, you can buy a [pricey] 4 hole adapter [can't remember the manufacturer]. It mates the 4 holes in the holley/afbs to the 4 holes in the QJ intake.

The other option is to use a sawzall, die grinder etc to cut the flange on the intake to create a split open design. I have done this, leaving just a thin dividing section between each side. This will allow the air/fuel to smoothly flow from the carb to the intake's plenum. Be warned though, it takes quite a bit of grinding/cutting to make the intake openings match the bottom of the adapter.
One nice thing is you can smooth the sharp edge at the bottom of the plenumn [leading into the ports] more easily while your at it once the flange is modified.
Keep those pics coming...
Dave Brode
'67 C-10 prostreet style project
twin turbo'd 512" Caddy
larouchedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 05:55 PM   #13
imaindianoutlaw
GMC SHORT FLEET F/S

I hope the drivers side rockers are good to go? Good luck on the rest of the project! Looks sweet! Next thing is what headers?

HVACR FOREMAN.
LEWISBURG U.S.P.
imaindianoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 06:53 PM   #14
COBALT

Yeah, that's impressive. Looks like a lot of work, but it will pay off!
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:14 AM   #15
Longhorn Man

Hmmm, I'll probably stick with the adapter I have now...it was free, and it gives me a little more of an excuse to get $250 from the wife for an eldebrock intake. One day anyways. Thanks for the heads up on that though. I kinda already knew...just never really thought about it much.
Drivers side rockers are kinda OK...it's the floor that has windows in it.
Headers is another tha'll have to wait a long time. I'll have to get Chevy big block headers for the chassis, then a flange kit for another 75 bucks, then pay some one to put the two together.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:08 AM   #16
neonlarry

Quote:
It mates the 4 holes in the holley/afbs to the 4 holes in the QJ intake.
Or, you could just get a q-jet... An 800 cfm q-jet would be pretty easy and cheap to rebuild. Then all you need is a 1'' spacer, and you could spend the $250 on something other than the edelbrock intake.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:03 AM   #17
larouchedem

neonlarry/Andy,

Fyi - a spacer for the Q-J should also be
a 4 hole design, rather than open, if the
intake isn't modified. The 4 hole Q-J spacer
is also more expensive than an open one.

I mentioned that I opened up my intake flange
on my beater, but fwiw- it was an open Q-J
spacer with a Q-J. Btw - I understand that my opinion on this issue is shared by the various
caddy gurus/vendors out there. Some of those
also feel that a 4 hole 2" high Q-J spacer is
better than a 1".
Dave

[/i]
Or, you could just get a q-jet... An 800 cfm q-jet would be pretty easy and cheap to rebuild. Then all you need is a 1'' spacer, and you could spend the $250 on something other than the edelbrock intake. [/QUOTE]
larouchedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 01:33 AM   #18
Longhorn Man

I doubt I would ever install a Q-jet onless I had to for a tail pipe snffer or something...and there are ways around that too. The Performer intake would make quite a bit more power...not that it maters. It isn't happening for quite a while.
larouchedem, you are right...but I doubt I'll be messin with this intake in that maner, and I am so dead broke that I can't afford NOT to use this free adapter.