The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Tilt column, usable or not?

I got a tilt automatic column from another board member and I'm not sure what to do with it. I already have one for my truck. This one was from a van, but for some unknown or unknowable reason, it was extended 6" from stock. I don't think it will fit in a truck.

Is it worth the trouble to try and cut it back down for reselling it? Or should I just try to sell it as is hoping that the new owner doesn't flame me for selling them something that won't fit. Seems a shame to let it go to waste or just for parts. Anyone have an opinion?

HG

Last edited by hgs_notes; 05-24-2007 at 07:58 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Tilt column, usable or not?

I would suggest selling it like it is but make sure the description of the problem is in the ad. More than likely anyone buying the column knowing that it is too long, will also know how to fix it. I don't believe it will be worth as much as one that is the normal length because of the work involved in shortening it.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
jgrh64
Prestige member Old Farts Club

some can be shortened without cutting they have breakaway plastic tabs in the shaft , then you would have to install a set screw to retain it not sure if yours is the same
Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

I'd say that you should be able to sell it since (like jghr64 said) most can be shortened anyway. How did they "lengthen it"?
The bigger question is who sold it to you and were they straightforward about the length, if (hopefully) they were, then just try to cut it or try to resell it, if they weren't, and I bought a column that had been monkeyed with and lengthened, I'd be upset..................Bamm!
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It was given to me with other parts that I bought. He was just trying to clear all of his old parts out because he no longer has a 67-72 truck. He realised it was too long when he was pulling the part from the van, but by then, had enough work into it, he finished rather than go home empty handed. He told me about it up front.

As far as how it's extended, I'm not sure. The outer tube has a 6" section welded in. These are a total pain to disassemble, so I'm not really interested in trying. I think ebay is the best bet for this piece, its good for the parts of the upper end at the very least.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

I have a van steering column in my 71. I just drilled out the 4 plastic tabs as stated above and wacked it a couple times with a hammer and it slid right down where I needed it. Once I get closer I might attempt at putting another plastic set screw in it. Its designed like that for crashes in that when you crash and smack the steering wheel it will brake the plastic and the steering column will go into the dash further instead of into your chest cavity further. The only other problem that I know of that you'll run into is the location of the neutral safety switch/reverse light switch that gets mounted onto the lower portion of the column inside the cab. The vans are up higher and there is no room. I read a FAQ somewhere on here at one time where somebody just cut a new hole and relocated it down where its supposed to be. Hope this helps some
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
396muncie

Nobody lengthened it except GM. Van columns are longer from the factory. That's why they don't bring as much as truck columns. Advertise it as a van column and most guys will know it needs shorted to go in a truck. Good luck.

72 Cheyenne K20, 350, Granny 4spd, LWB, daily driver

72 Cheyenne Super C20, 350, Turbo 400, LWB, parts truck for 4WD Cheyenne
396muncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I agree.What vehicle would it have possibly been lengthened for?It`s just a van column.Smack that sucker down to fit in a pickup.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:07 AM   #9
oldschooler

I might be interested in buying it. You should give a board member a chance at it, before someone on evilbay. Post a price.....
oldschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Since you guys don't seem to believe me, or trust that after rebuilding one of these I can tell the difference or operate a tape measure, here is a picture.

Please note that the nice shiny one is a van tilt. It has the longer shaft out the bottom end. Then note the weld seams on the longer column. I measured under my hood to see if there would be room to fit in a truck by just sliding it down further and I don't think it will. Van tilts themselves do not need to be shortened to fit, just colapse the section between the steering column and box. Now if you are on the very short side of the spectrum of people size, maybe having it a bit longer on the inside will work for you.

As far as why it was lengthened, or for what vehicle, I have know idea and can't even begin to guess. But facts are facts. It is longer, and I doubt it will work as-is in a truck. Maybe this was built for the C-60's?

I am not a paid member here, so I do not try to sell, can't post prices, etc. I really wasn't even trying to gage interest. But after looking at the picture, please tell me if you think it's worth the trouble to modify it, or just pass it on to the next owner to use as they see fit.
HG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396muncie View Post
Nobody lengthened it except GM. Van columns are longer from the factory. That's why they don't bring as much as truck columns. Advertise it as a van column and most guys will know it needs shorted to go in a truck. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
oldschooler

sorry, didnt notice you were a pinky too!!!!!!!
oldschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
jgrh64
Prestige member Old Farts Club

wow, sorry I didn't realize exactly what you were saying , maybe it's a step van column