The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
boatpuller

a quick favor.

could you guy's with clutch fans do the boatpuller a favor?next time your under the hood grab your fan and see how much play's in it.if any.mine's able to wobble more than i would think is normal.but,hasn't started making racket yet.i got a couple of out a town cruises coming up and thought i'd replace it while i have time.if it's bad.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Lightbulb Re: a quick favor.

Got rid of mine along time ago.

But im gonna tell ya that any play isn't good id'e replace it don't take a chance cuz you know when it let's go it's gonna be when your on the road and it will take out the rad, fan belt, tranny cooler lines, who know's.

I don't think there that expensive maybe 40 bux if that!

It's cheap insurance if ya ask me.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE

Last edited by 87 STEPPER; 05-19-2007 at 01:54 PM.
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Re: a quick favor.

Just went out and checked mine...no play or wobble in it. Mine is "new", meaning I ran it for one year eight years ago...before I tore the truck down.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

I can free spin mine

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
bulky
Bulky

I just checked mine. No play side to side does not rock.

They are easy to get to and not too expensive (less expensive than a radiator). If there is any doubt in your mind, swap it out.
1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport
Dad's 1970 GMC 9' Stepside
Dad's 1969 GMC Custom Camper
bulky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
Eyegore
What Hump?

Replace as soon as you can, it'll play havoc on your waterpump which could cause it to leak.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
boatpuller

thanks guys,kinda what i expected...off to the parts store tommorow.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
Pyrotechnic

I had one that freewheeled like crazy. You could just spin the thing. The truck NEVER overheated with it though. Seems like it spun just enough to keep things cool. Nice and quiet too.

I did replace the clutch, and everytime I took off from a stop, I would hear "WHHOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHH!!!!!' and feel the motor loaded down. Sound like a cross between a hoover and a kenworth. I had enough of that crap and stuck a flex fan on it.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 05-19-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #9
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
could you guy's with clutch fans do the boatpuller a favor?next time your under the hood grab your fan and see how much play's in it.if any.mine's able to wobble more than i would think is normal.but,hasn't started making racket yet.i got a couple of out a town cruises coming up and thought i'd replace it while i have time.if it's bad.
Thanks boatpuller...

Lately, once in a great while I hear a very slight whine/grind coming from under the hood. But, it doesn't last long enough for me to find out the cause.

So, your thread had me check under the hood. Even before tugging on the fan clutch, I noticed part of the rubber seal separated and sitting on the rear of the shaft. And, of course, it had play.

Today, I fetched a Hayden fan clutch for 'bout 30 bones.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:50 AM   #10
jr2

HEY BOAT!!

Get a new one... I had one of the explode and sent schrapnal through the hood of one of my old trucks... And then it had the nerve to eat my radiator/belts and cooler lines too!!
-1967 Nova 2dr HT & a couple others...
jr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:09 AM   #11
Big Bobby O

Better make sure it's the clutch fan and not the pump.

I had an S-10 with a noise up front. Thought it was the clutch fan. Replaced it with another used one. It too had a little play. But, it turned out the pump was going bad. When I put the new pump in, I used the original becuase the used one was off an astro van and the there was a difference between the rotation of the pump (surpintine belt)

Make sure when you have the direction correct if you use one from a different application. The pump and fan will be different if it's a surpintine belt vs. the conventional style. It's just a thought...
Big Bobby O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:45 AM   #12
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
Thanks boatpuller...
Today, I fetched a Hayden fan clutch for 'bout 30 bones.
Just a follow-up.

I got a chance to replace the fan clutch a couple of days ago. Took 'bout a half hour from start to finish. Used a 1/2" Gearwrench, 1/2" socket and torque wrench. Four nuts and four bolts later, I had it done. The last two pictures show the broken seal and some fluid leakage.

... Noise is gone too.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I had one that freewheeled like crazy. You could just spin the thing. The truck NEVER overheated with it though. Seems like it spun just enough to keep things cool. Nice and quiet too.

I did replace the clutch, and everytime I took off from a stop, I would hear "WHHOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHH!!!!!' and feel the motor loaded down. Sound like a cross between a hoover and a kenworth. I had enough of that crap and stuck a flex fan on it.
thats how mine is. Freewheels with very little resistance. Between the fan and the oil cooler, my truck rarely reaches the second mark (1/4 way) on the temp gauge. Even with a leaking radiator.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
boatpuller

thats weird box,i bought the exact same clutch used the same tools and took about a half hour.it did help, that i'd had evey belt,pulley,bracket and accesorry on and off about 42 times this winter,when i switched my a/c compressor over to the passenger side during vintage air install.i'm lovin it now though...........first big test this week,when weather dude says it's gonna be 90.......... i'm gonna do a future mod.electric fan ,when i stick in a new zz4.

Last edited by boatpuller; 05-28-2007 at 11:40 AM.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #15
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

I have the stock 7-blade fan bolted to the water pump through a solid Hayden spacer - no clutch whatsoever. My truck needs it tho, having no shroud an a small radiator can be quite the pain when you're stuck in traffic at 90F heat.