The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #26
Beefcake

Re: overheating

i had the same problem. Fixed it with the same solution. Drilled holes in the thermostat (3 to 4 holes actually). Workes great during while running. Just drill the holes in between the outer seal and inner diameter.

Now i have a new problem though. When i shut the motor off... my temp gauge goes all the way up to about 250 deg.

Hope the same doesnt apply to you.

currently has 350/350/14 bolt. 383 and 400 tranny is in the works.
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #27
superman3405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
i had the same problem. Fixed it with the same solution. Drilled holes in the thermostat (3 to 4 holes actually). Workes great during while running. Just drill the holes in between the outer seal and inner diameter.

Now i have a new problem though. When i shut the motor off... my temp gauge goes all the way up to about 250 deg.

Hope the same doesnt apply to you.
I hope drilling the holes in it did not cause that..

1972 Chevy C-10 Short Bed (Ol'Blue)
350/350TH
2003 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 Honda MiniVan...yup we should all be so lucky
superman3405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #28
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

His truck is heating up when he shuts it off because the coolant is no longer flowing. It just sets still and absorbs all the heat from the engine. Without actively circulating through the radiator there is no here for the heat to go, hence the rise in temp once shut off. All engines do this. Most modern day vehicles have electric temp gauges though, so you never know what the temp is once the key is turned off.

The holes in the stat are not a problem. Many OEM stats are this way now. It just makes sure that any air pockets migrate quickly up to the top of the radiator. If a big air pocket gets stuck under the thermostat, the stat won't get hot as fast (air does not transfer heat like water does) and the engine will sometimes even overheat before the stat gets hot enough to open and let the air pocket past. Air is a good insulator of heat.

There is no reason to fear the little bleed hole (or holes) in your thermostat. They don't pass enough coolant to affect anything significantly. Look at it this way, your heater core flows a whole hell of a lot of water through those 5/8 and 3/4 inch hoses. That water flows whether the thermostat is open or not. An 1/8 inch hole is nothing compared to a 5/8 inch hose.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #29
cstanley

not intending to hijack, but where should the factory temp gauge ride? when at operating temp, it rides at halfway (needle straight up) if the heater is blowing, pulling the heat off the engine. if not blowing the heater, it creeps up between the middle and the first "hot" mark. is that about right, or should it be running lower than that?

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #30
bryanw1968

I think the reason you overheat when you put the stat IN is because you have a water flow issue, ei; kinked hose like everyone else is mentioning.

With the stat out you have just enough flow to make it work. However, as summer comes on that ain't gonna cut it.

When you run w/o a stat water goes through the radiator so fast that it's not in there long enough to cool the water down. I would make sure your fan clutch is good, install a shroud and put a good stat back in. I'm running a Mallory 180 degree. It holds dead on 180.

Also, I didn't notice but are you running an overflow can? If not, as the system gets hot and purges it will spew out water/anti-freeze and then draw back in hot air. That hot air will make things worse.

Good luck,
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman3405 View Post
Longhorn Man
I am ony over heating with the thermostat. Without on I am fine. does not get hot at all

I overheated just minutes after putting it in, go about 1 block away from the house here and the temp gauge was HOT....I have a new temp sender coming out of the side of the block, wire going to temp gauge. Yes the rad is new the fan does spin all the way..I just went of to look at it. I will go pick a new fan up with clutch tommorrow and seet what that does to it.

Now...what significance does the clutch play on the fan....why does the truck need the thermostat IF it runs without one. I mean if it is going to get hot, it's going to get hot without on right....I have never understood these things.
I remeber asking my stepdad these questions when I was 16 with my first c-10, and his answer was, "Son that is just the way it is",
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #31
superman3405

okay I hate to keep poping up with this but I took the thermostat and drilled the hole in it. Put back in, put 50/50 antifreeze mix in. fired the truck up and after a few minutes temp went way up. Oh and the flex hose is gone, I have a molded hose on there now, it is not bent in any way.
Do you think the Temp sending unit may be faulty or I have it located in a bad place. I have it on the drivers side right next to the 1st spark plug. I am running manifolds is it possible that it is reading heat from the exhaust?? How can I check this for sure???
Thanks

1972 Chevy C-10 Short Bed (Ol'Blue)
350/350TH
2003 Chevy Silverado Z71
2007 Honda MiniVan...yup we should all be so lucky
superman3405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #32
Crank

Very Possible something is screwy. I replaced the rad., fan and clutch, 3 thermostats and countless other things and my old '86 GMC pegged the very hottest mark on the temp gauge VERY often, it never boiled over tho, or let me to believe it was getting hot, the overflow was working the way it was supposed to and all that good stuff, my temp sending unit was in the manifold, I had an Edelbrock Performer on there. It was either the gauge or the sending unit and I'd bet probably the gauge
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #33
chipflyer

When I bought my truck the temp gauge barely came up at all. I made a trip to Orielly's and bought a new sender, put it in and the gauge ran clear over to the hot mark but it wasn't ever over heating. I stopped by Chevy Duty a couple days later and picked up a new sender from them, put it in and the gauge runs right where it should, 1/4 of the way up.
The morel is don't overlook a mis-calibrated sender. You have fixed a few other issues that need fixing but if it is still running warm, try a manual gauge as someone else suggested or another sender for your electric gauge.

Good luck!

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #34
bcanini
"Taste It"

Superman,
did you ever get this resolved??? I'm having the exact same prob. New thermostat wayyyy hot long drives get's hot and at lights hot, no thermostat hot @ lights but fine on long drives.?? Killing me it's summer and I want to drive it. I'm stumped.
Help anyone..

B

2007 Silverado Crew with the MAX Pack and loaded
2007 CX-9
"Hopefully when I die.. my wife wont sell my stuff for what I said I paid for it"

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.
bcanini is offline   Reply With Quote