The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Tilt Rant! Ya gotta be McGuyver or Something!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewlett2002000 View Post
sounds like a job i did sunday. new brakes on my 66 that was sitting for a long time. i made sure and got everything i needed saturday afternoon(or so i thought) so i could get it done and do something else. it dident work that way, i started at 7am and after 3 trips to autozone, 2 trips to oreily's and a 12 pack we finally finished at 7pm.
I could have easily dragged that out to at least 2 days by breaking a dealer only part, or by having a wrong part that had to be replaced by one that needed to be special ordered...

I was on vacation last week at South Padre Island. My wife's clowncar (a little Mazda) started running badly, and the check engine light came on right before we got there. I just tuned it up abot 18 months ago, so I was afraid it was something more than that. The town we were staying in does not have a parts store that can read the code (2 stores, only one open), so I have to limp the car 20 miles to the next town.

The code reader says "misfire." All of the ignition parts on it are from O'Reilly, and have a lifetime warranty. Great! That's the only parts store open where I am staying. We're in luck, right? I'll just go back to the store near the hotel, and replace things one at a time until the problem goes away.

I limp the car 20 miles back to the first town, and the O'Reilly does not have the parts I need. They send me back to the second town! I wish they had told me that the other tiny town had Auto Zone and O'Reilly.A new cap, rotor, and wires caused me to lose a whole day of vacation running back and forth between the two towns. At least the parts were free under warranty...

Slonaker