The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Richard H.
Spanked once

Coil spring confusion 71 C 10

I'll do my best to make my self clear on this confused state I'm in. I ordered 4" drop springs from a site vendor here for the rear. The spid states it has heavy suspension for the front and I gave this info to the vendor plus the fact it had two extra tanks in the rear. It seems to me a dealer set this thing up to be a camper special , just speculation. The picture shows the new and the old spring , the old spring is made of 3/4 stock and the new one is 5/8 stock.
I had planned on cutting 1 & 1/8 coil off the front spring to get a 2" drop but they are made of 3/4 " stock also. The engine I built is a 350 all aluminum top end so I know it doesn't weigh as much as the original. I'm totally rebuilding the front and rear of this with off truck paint and really don't want to go scrathin and hackin on it swapping springs to get it right. Should I just guess at new front springs? Will the lighter springs he sent for the back drop it to much?
The truck is the one in my avatar , If I have to get new front springs that is not a problem just don't want any tire rubbing.
Attached Images

Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
seanu
Too many projects!!!

Re: Coil spring confusion 71 C 10

If I were you, I would probably go with new front springs, as opposed to cutting the heavy duty ones.

Since they were designed for handling a heavier load..they will probably be very stiff under a "no load" situation...and if you cut them down, your going to make them even stiffer..so I would go with a new set for the front with the amount of drop you are looking for.

That way you can switch both front and rear springs to std diameter coils...as far as I know..nobody makes heave duty dropped coils.
1963 Chevy Biscayne 4D Sedan
1971 Chevy C10 (now have 70 cab & frame)
1968 Chevy C10 (parts for the 70)
1991 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (Chevy 355 motor)
1937 Pontiac 8 4D Touring Sedan (in pieces)
Jacksonville, Florida
seanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
jhow66

2" dropped spindle will be much easier and will have no change in geometry.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Richard H.
Spanked once

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanu View Post
If I were you, I would probably go with new front springs, as opposed to cutting the heavy duty ones.

Since they were designed for handling a heavier load..they will probably be very stiff under a "no load" situation...and if you cut them down, your going to make them even stiffer..so I would go with a new set for the front with the amount of drop you are looking for.

That way you can switch both front and rear springs to std diameter coils...as far as I know..nobody makes heave duty dropped coils.
You are probably right about it being stiffer , if I want stiff I will use my F-250 log wagon. Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Richard H.
Spanked once

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow66 View Post
2" dropped spindle will be much easier and will have no change in geometry.
Just asking I thought a 2 - 4 drop was safe from what I read here with out using drop spindles , please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and I'll call out the punting unit
Old 05-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Jayss109

I did a 2-4 drop with just springs. Works just fine after an alignment. Only difference I did was use Small Block springs, even though I have a big block. Let the front sit a little lower, and not quite so stiff.

J
Jayss109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Richard H.
Spanked once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayss109 View Post
I did a 2-4 drop with just springs. Works just fine after an alignment. Only difference I did was use Small Block springs, even though I have a big block. Let the front sit a little lower, and not quite so stiff.

J
Thanks J , I ordered new springs from GMC Paul this morning with to much other stuff Hopefully mine will be as sharp as your avatar ,that is one slick truck
Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Jayss109

no prob, good luck with your install. Front end stuff is super easy, and kinda fun, once you get all the 30 years of dirt and grime off!!

J
Jayss109 is offline   Reply With Quote