The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2002, 01:56 PM   #1
chevychic

Cold Starting Problems

Now that the weather is considerably colder, I'm having some problems starting my truck. It starts fine and I need to give it a little gas after I first start it, but I can't leave it to let it warm up. I have to babysit for at least 5 minutes otherwise it'll die. I'm not a very patient person and sitting in a cold truck for 5 minutes+ is not something I want to do every morning.
It'll idle just fine for a minute or so but then it starts idling rough until it dies or I run outside and give it gas. Then it'll happen again a couple of minutes later. I don't have a garage at my new house so it sits outside all night.

Also if I get too impatient and don't wait at LEAST 5 - 10 minutes (closer to 10) for it to warm up, it'll die after about 5 minutes of driving. It starts right back up and will be fine the rest of the day.

This only happens in the morning and after it's warmed up from driving for about 20 minutes I have no problems the rest of the day.

I'm not sure when this truck had it's last tune-up so that's on my to do list soon.

What could be causing this?

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 04:13 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

have you tried setting the choke before you start it. press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it, release it, wait 10sec then start it.. ?? that should set the choke so it will run alittle higher rpm.. i have had problems with my choke recently as well, it wouldnt stay open, i had to prop it open with a spark plug boot.. one day it started workin.. lol...
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 07:21 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

CHOKE

its definately an electric choke problem sometimes its just gummed up and a couple shots of carb cleaner on it frees it up and its fine other times it needs to be adjusted by the adjusting screws on it. In any event its a fairly easy thing to do

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 08:02 PM   #4
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

so your truck is carbureted right? its definately the choke then. Mine did that EXACT same thing when the choke is not setup right.

when its setup right, you should kick the throttle once, which engages the choke and squirts some fuel down there. Then you crank and it should start and immediately fast idle forever, until you kick the throttle again after its warmed up and it should go back down to normal idle. Also the engine should run REALLY well when its cold and the choke is working. My advice if you cant fix it is find a shop that specializes in carbs or carb rebuilding in your area... around here there is one that I know of.. they will get that thing working quick and cheap and better than any old shop where the guys are used to working on newer vehicles.. its like with these old trucks, you have to find a place that specializes in them just like with german or european cars because not everyone knows how to work on them.. oh well thats just my two cents good luck

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 09:09 PM   #5
85Silverado

Mine does that too. Will start right up after 3 pumps on the gas but will only idle fine for like a minute and then stall out, but i think i have other problems besides the choke

Paul D.
'85 Silverado

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote