The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
b454rat

No heater or radio???

Spotted a 64-66 burban the other day, went to go look at it, see if it was for sale. No plates, looks like it's been sitting for while, tires near flat. Anyways, I peek inside and see no heater controls or radio. I knew that they could come with no radio, but no heater?? Guess whoever ordered it didn't have too much money, this didn't have one option on it. 6 banger, 3 on the tree, no PS, PB, heater radio, nothing. Must been one boring trip. It looks to be in better shape than mine, so if they call back, see what I can get it for, maybe rob parts for mine, maybe fix it up and drive it.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
psychorodder

Re: No heater or radio???

The truck has the econo heater all controls are on the box under dash that is the way mine is no dash controls.
psychorodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
b454rat

Didn't see that, but wasn't looking either. No sense worrying about it if they don't call. Just thought it was weird....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

There were two heater/defroster combinations available on the '60-'66 Chevy trucks. They were Thrift Air heater with single pull knob at the dash and a swinging knob on the plenum box under the dash to divert air to the defrost vents in the dash. The other option was a Deluxe Air heater with four levers on the dash controller on the '60-'63 trucks and three levers on the '64-'66 trucks. There is not an Economy heater option available from the factory or the dealer listed in any of the manufacturer's literature, however you could get a truck from the factory or dealer without a heater, as evidenced by the factory heater delete plates available that cover the two heater box mounting holes in the firewall. I have seen these on eBay numerous times, but never purchased any due to the cold winters in Kansas City requires a heater and defroster.

The only radio available was an AM transistor with turn knobs and a dial face with CHEVROLET scpript on the face below the dial. The only option was black knobs or the chrome/black knobs, typically found in the Custom Cab/Custom Comfort equipped trucks. A single speaker with a single paper cone was the only speaker option available. It was mounted in the dash between the defroster vents. If the truck came from the factory without a radio it would have been equipped with a factory radio delete plate covering the factory radio opening in the face of the dash.

I hope this information is helpful.

Tony

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-03-2007 at 05:01 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
rickf

I don't know about factory options, but there are two heater core sizes for the "Fresh Air" 1-knob version. Somebody posted a link to the heaater core catalog page for one of the suppliers, I forget which thread or supplier. It shows the two sizes of core, and one had an "econo" connotation in the name (the smaller one, of course) and I forget how they nomenclated the larger.

My heater is apart right now for a core replacement. It has the smaller "econo" core. But the marks are in place in the box for the larger core. The larger core is about 30% more area. All it takes to convert is cut out about a 2x4 inch chunk of metal and drill the two mount holes.

Maybe this larger core is in fact part of the 4 (3) knob option. But we know there are two different heater configurations, the "fresh air" and the "recirculating". So it appears the trucks are capable of (at least) three different heater optons, and that catalog page mentioned showed three different heater cores available.

Being capable is one thing, actually being offered from the factory is another.
I see evidence of the former, but have nothing for the latter.
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

The Deluxe Air heater is the cadillac of the heater/defroster options available on the '64-'66 Chevy C/K series trucks. All of the Deluxe Air and Thirt Air heaters I have on my collection of '64-'66 Chevy trucks, have the same size heater core and under-hood heater box, as well as the heater motor, mounted on the underside of the heater box. All of this information is also in the manufacturer's literature covering this era of trucks. Perhaps the core size difference is between the '60-'63 and the '64-'66. I can't speak to the '60-'63 trucks, because I do not have any of this year.

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-03-2007 at 02:03 PM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
rickf

I found that catalog link in the older thread, here it is:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/0064.asp

I see now, reading more carefully, that core (1) is fo 60-63, core (2) is 64-66 for "Thrift air", which we have been calling "Fresh air" heater, and core (3) is 60-66 "Deluxe". So LILRED is correct, I was mistaken.

None the less, my (1964) heater box has markings (cast-in ridge) that would fit the larger core if the box is trimmed to those markings. The big question would be if the hose mount tubes are bent in the same (or close) configuration. They look the same in the catalog picture, but it is an artist rendering not a photo, so no telling what reality might be. (Though one could just have a radiator shop recore the existing end caps with the larger core size.)

I also noted in the catalog a blurb about location of blower motor, and for 64-66 both Thrifty and Deluxe heaters have blowers in the engine bay. There is only mention of recirculating for 60-63. From disicussions here I got the impression that 64-66 also had a recirculating heater option. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, or maybe the catalog is wrong or at least incomplete, or?
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote