The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

towing with a '71 C20

What is the towing rating of a '71 350 C20? I am about to buy a nostalgic boat that is pretty heavy. Not sure of the weight yet, need to get it to the scales, but the PO says it is about 6K w/o trailer. I also have the '05 Suburban with a '7800# rating... seems like that might be pushing it, with fuel and other equipment.

I will only have to tow this thing about 5 miles or so to and from the docks, but I don't want to break anything.

As always, thanx for the input.

JJ
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Re: towing with a '71 C20

Jerry, here is my standard reply to the towing question. It is from a 69 resto pack from Chevrolet (thanks for that info Longhorn Man ). It shows what your truck can pull depending on engine, rear end ratio, etc.

6k, it must be a big boat! My gut feeling is that you will be fine pulling it with either truck, and I always err on the side of caution.

Squint and you can read it

Edit by me;
I forgot to mention...Brakes! On a load that big you will need brakes on the trailer (at least one axle). That means you will need wiring and a electric brake controler. Pulling it is the easy part, stopping it is the challenge.
Attached Images

BEATERS ARE NEATER

Last edited by Bus Ted Knuckle; 06-05-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:55 PM   #3
Shyguy

In the late 70's I use to tow a 24 ft Dorsett Cabin Cruiser with my 72 GMC 3/4T with a 350, 4 speed tranny and 4 something gears almost every weekend during the summer 40 miles to the Sacramento River Delta with no problems.

The boat trailer had a surge/hydraulic brake system. Electric brakes don't like water.

Danny - SEMO
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
Jerry, here is my standard reply to the towing question. It is from a 69 resto pack from Chevrolet (thanks for that info Longhorn Man ). It shows what your truck can pull depending on engine, rear end ratio, etc.

6k, it must be a big boat! My gut feeling is that you will be fine pulling it with either truck, and I always err on the side of caution.

Squint and you can read it

Edit by me;
I forgot to mention...Brakes! On a load that big you will need brakes on the trailer (at least one axle). That means you will need wiring and a electric brake controler. Pulling it is the easy part, stopping it is the challenge.
The trailer has 3 axles, one with brakes, I have a 350 with 4:10's, so I guess the big thing is to get this monster to the scales to see what the actuall total weight is
Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Jones View Post
The trailer has 3 axles, one with brakes, I have a 350 with 4:10's, so I guess the big thing is to get this monster to the scales to see what the actuall total weight is
Yeah Jerry, I guess that is the next step. Hey remember that chart shows the max combined weight of the truck and trailer/boat. So what ever your truck wieghs, deduct that from the wieght shown and that is how big of a trailer you can pull.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
Yeah Jerry, I guess that is the next step. Hey remember that chart shows the max combined weight of the truck and trailer/boat. So what ever your truck wieghs, deduct that from the wieght shown and that is how big of a trailer you can pull.
I couldn't read the truck weight included on the sheet... there aint know way in heck that is going to work out with this thing...time for plan B.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Jones View Post
I couldn't read the truck weight included on the sheet... there aint know way in heck that is going to work out with this thing...time for plan B.
5 miles with a 3/4 ton. I wouldn't hesitate a bit if everything on the truck was up to spec
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Well, a 350 with 4:11 shows to be about 10,300 lbs GVW. How much does your truck wiegh? If it is 4,000lbs, then you could haul a 6,300lb trailer.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

100%. I wouldn't give it a second thought,unless of course you are talking about a rusted old bumper hitch with the bumper hanging 1/2 off or you have to pump up the brakes at each stop,or maybe the cords in your tires are flopping around in the wheel wells.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Ok not sure of the truck weight... I will check that out.

The truck stops as good or better now than it ever did, no pumping...period, but the rig is going to be heavy. I am not too sure of getting it off of the ramp with the 2x I might need to have the 'burb there to get it off the ramp just for grins.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #11
WorkinLonghorn

Let us know how it worked out. With an auto trans and all that torque multipication,I wouldn't think it'd be a problem,but just how steep is that ramp?
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #12
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Let us know how it worked out. With an auto trans and all that torque multipication,I wouldn't think it'd be a problem,but just how steep is that ramp?
The ramp isn't bad, but I am going to have my Bro-in-law there on standby with his duramax when I try this out the 1st time. I had no problems with my last boat, but it was quite abit lighter.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
mrein3

Note that specs like this aren't to protect your truck, they are to protect folks like me, my wife, and my 5 year old that are just going about their business sharing the roads with everybody.

I know that if I wiped out a family because my overweight rig couldn't stop, I couldn't live with my self. Therefore I don't do it. Period.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

my thoughts on towing are anything i can get behind it i will pull..but the brakes have to be in great shape to...its not the towing that matters, its the stopping...so just make sure your brakes are good...now might be the time ot do them if its been awhile...and if you have 2 axles on the trailer, its a big boat...make sure the brakes on it, should be surge brakes,, are in good working order..dont tailgate...like it was said, its the people around you that you have to watch out for...
Old 06-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #15
Broken_down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Yeah I wouldn't think you would have any issues. . . unless you go to Oroville Lake when the water is drawn down. Man I have seen many a Dulley Pickups (OF ALL TYPES) smoking the tires trying to get back up the ramps and that ain't no joke! Saw a dude dunk his pickup once too. Man you never seen a person so pissed.

Attached is a picture of the lake but of a hill next to the ramp at the Dam Launch ramp. The arrow in blue is the actuall steepness of the ramp when it is down. The ramp which you cannot see if off to the left.
Attached Images

WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #16
Shyguy

Boy!!!!!!!!! That lake sure is low. My family and I use to jet ski there in the 80's.

Danny - SEMO
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I wouldn't hasitate either personally. You will be right on the edge of the limits, however, 5 miles... I'd do it with an S-10. (not the launching part though) Guestimate the truck at 4500 with minimal BS in it with driver.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #18
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

Thanx for the input fellas.

Near as I can tell the rig is going to be about 9K loaded, I would not even consider the trip up the mountains. The ramp is not steep at all, and is a well groomed asphalt. It is a 5 mile trip on flat land.

It has 3 axles, one surge braked... trailer is brand new... less than 100 miles on it. What I was thinking was to have it moved by one of the "big trucks" to a wide open lot, hook it up to mine and give it a test (emergency) stop or two.

I am not worried about the suspension, it has some upgrades. The brakes are very solid.

Will keep ya informed
Old 06-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #19
GREASEMONKEY72

well let us know how it all goes and see if you can get some pics of it all hooked up

one thing that i dont get is how you subtract the weight of the truck from the weight listed on that chart, because it just doesnt make sense that my truck would only be able to pull a 2500lbs trailer

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote