The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
va_tlc

dropped truck off

well took the 72 4x4 over to my friends shop, he is gonna set me a new front ring and pinion up to match the back 3.73.... put new seals so the gear oil wont leak out the ends, put mt new spring eye bushings in... add a extra leaf in the front springs since i put the 14 bolt in the rear i guess the new spring perches was a bit taller than the stock perches now making it sit higher in the rear... and install my new billet electronic distrbitor and plug wires. ohh and put my new brake drums on, cause i put new shoes on but the drums are so bad that they couldnt be turned down anymore...... so hopefully when its done ill be able to drive it. i just didnt trust driving it with he brakes like that.. anyone have a truck with the spring eye bushing gone bad? my springs actually move forward when i turn the truck, was just wondering if this is gonna fix my front end, cause the way it is now while driving on the back road it feels like front end is on ice or such. iv put new tie rod ends both sides plus new steering box. new upper and lower ball joints. and front end alagment. any ideas? thanks and would anyone have some money to lend when i pick the truck up ...causes ill be doing this>>>>> .... ...but my wife thinks im this >>>>

2006gt

1972swb4x4
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
kxnomore

Re: dropped truck off

Yep. Just went through the same problems. My front springs would move over a 1/2" back and forth in the eye bushing. Couldn't even drive it on the freeway without changing lanes by accident if I hit a big bump.

Turns out my springs were even worn where they were rubbing against each other, but the spring shop was able to smooth them out, re-arch them, install new bushings, etc. He said re-arching is better than an add a leaf? And rubber bushings are also better than poly?

The ride is sooooo much better. One pinky on the wheel at 80 mph. No more squeaks, no wander. Incredible difference. Even my old lady wants to drive it now!!

I also needed new ball joints, drag links, and tie rod ends, so maybe that is part of the improvement, but the springs seemed to be the biggest part of it.
Good luck!
kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I had the urethane bushings from a lift kit go bad like that and the whole front end could rack back and forth.I had done all the front end work and even swapped sterring boxes before I had someone turn the wheel while in watched the movement.Make them wonder a bit,huh?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
va_tlc

well i belive yall have told me some good news. i was pretty frustrated after coming from the aligment shop, that it was still wandering the road, very surprised they didnt see that thou, i hear ya tim about the re arch is probally better than addin a leaf, but im still in the air about a small 4 inch lift later, cause iv done bought 32 inch tires now, maybe when i wear them out i may go with a lift, well thanks for the info and keep ya fingers crossed that the bushings will fix er rite up

2006gt

1972swb4x4
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote