The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
one9six9

I give up.

I hate to say it, but I think I need to throw in the towel. The more I look into this project the more I think I just don't have the time to do this. I just hope I can get all the money that I have into the truck back out of it.

Keith
one9six9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Mudder

Re: I give up.

Sometimes its hard to get back out of something that you have in it. Sit back for a while and really think it over. Building a truck does take a lot of time and money.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
woodridge

I agree. Some guys have had there trucks for years, sitting in pieces in the garage or storage, collecting parts working on them for a while then back to storage finally finishing them after many years. I too have sold a project for the same reason you have given only to regret it later. As Mudder said, sit back and think about it, if it's in your garage, it's not eating any hay, if it's in storage, it's not eating much hay. It may seem like a good decision to sell it now but is it a wise decision?
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #4
67chevemall

Yep in the 12 years I've had it I think I only have 1000kms on it.

Sometimes I wonder too....
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Shyguy

Working on these ole trucks remind me of something I have heard over the years. The pleasure is in the Journey not the Destination.

It means to me if I enjoy the time I spend working on my ole truck it is worth it. I may never finish my project but working on it helps relieve the stress of day to day life and gives me the satisfaction of being able to accomplish something, even if only in small stages.

Like the others said take a break for a while and see how you feel then.

Danny - SEMO
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Talking Re: I give up.

I hear this all the time I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR 15 YEAR's ,,,
NO you have not , or it would be done , just because someone keep's a vehicle for 30 year's dosen't mean they have been working on it ,
I work a fulltime and then some job have a wife and to kid's , I can completly build a truck car motorcycle ect. ect. in about six month's out in my shed I call a garage and so can ANYONE! but you have to work on it EVERYDAY they ain't no day's off , they ain't no holiday's it's everyday till it's done for me !!! keep it and fix it !!!!
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Finishing... well, ok, making my truck "presentable" (they're never *really* done) was one of the most accomplished feelings I've ever had. She was built 100% at home. I did cheat and buy a rebuilt crate motor and rebuilt tranny, but I did the rest I even installed the crappy LMC, no instructions, kinda fits dual exhaust kit. Body work just takes practice and patience. If you screw it up, it can be fixed (or in my case, replaced with a new panel )
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 06-11-2007 at 05:04 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
falvarez12001

Look man, I have felt the same way many times, you run out of money, other things come up, so you have to put your project in the garage and let it sit for a while. But it is really worth it when you pull the truck out and even though it looks like crap people still stare as you drive by them. Well that's what I think.

1972 Chevy Longhorn, Dropped 4-7
1984 Chevy Shortbed custom Deluxe (Daily Driver)
falvarez12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
Imacarguytoo

Keep it and work on it!!! My wife is gone for 13 hours a day. I work a part to full time job, Take care of the house...cleaning it..yard work...repair work. I cook dinner 5 nites a week. Take care of my 2 boys 5 yrs old and 5 monthes old till 7pm when she gets home. After 9 i go out in the garage till 11 and get right back up at 6 am to do it all over again. Saturdays is family time. Saturday nite after 10 i work in the garage. Atleast 3 hours on sunday i work in the garage. I also cut 3 yards sunday evenings Im tired by then but i do it because i have fun with my truck. Im not building a show truck. Im building it for me. The only thing my wife does really around the house is cook on the weekends and do the laundry. Thats all i ask her to do because of the hours she works. As i said i do everything else. Keep looking for the parts you need, you will find them. Make the time for the truck and it will all work out.
My truck is very rusty. It needs alot of work. It runs and drives. But im collecting parts and working on it. Hang in there. Come to terms with yourself. It will take years for it to be finished. Are they ever really done then anyway?
'51 Jeep Cj3a "Willys" 350 V8
Imacarguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

What they said.One way to keep the enthusiasm is to pick a task that can be finished in the time you have each (day,week,month) and also a long term task that will take a while.Maybe it's just cleaning and painting brackets or something small like that.At the end of a work session if you look at it and see some progress then it seems to be getting done.If you are working a little here and a little there you may not be seeing much getting done and you feel like you haven't accomplished much.The first frame off or even totel restore is always the hardest.
If you already have the financing you may be able to schedule deadlines for tasks which can also make things seem to move towards completion.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
BB72CHEVKT

Its easy to give up but something I will not allow myself to do. My 72's big block has been on the stand built for more than 5 years(its even been on the dyno). Its all up to you. Just remember we all told you so when your kicking yourself in the a$$!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
ksbeatty

This is my first build and I am loving it. I agree that it is the journey and depends on what you want when you get done. Take a moment and reflect to where you started and where you are at now. Then take a week or two off and jump back in...
ksbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #13
JHART
1972 Shorty Owner

Location: Stationed in Cali , born and raised in PHX Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
I hear this all the time I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR 15 YEAR's ,,,
NO you have not , or it would be done , just because someone keep's a vehicle for 30 year's dosen't mean they have been working on it ,
I work a fulltime and then some job have a wife and to kid's , I can completly build a truck car motorcycle ect. ect. in about six month's out in my shed I call a garage and so can ANYONE! but you have to work on it EVERYDAY they ain't no day's off , they ain't no holiday's it's everyday till it's done for me !!! keep it and fix it !!!!

How well does your wife and kids like you during this time? LOL

I for one do something to my truck everyday and its far from done. But i will say that i would rather spend time with my wife and kids then sit in my garage and turn a wrech. I do that at work all damn day.

Last edited by JHART; 06-11-2007 at 06:00 PM.
JHART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
Jim_PA

Big jobs are tough. Sounds like you don't have the ambition, or the place to do this now.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #15
72 68 andmore

You don't want to give up unless you can get your money back, I am afraid to add my receipts. I throw some away that have nothing to worry about warranty incase I decide to do it some day I don't want my wife to divorce me.
72 68 andmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #16
seanu
Too many projects!!!

Ok...here's my thoughts...

I have sold several projects during the years...for one reason or another..either no place to work, no time, or no money...or, I needed the money....

But I can say this honestly...I regret selling them all!...I think now, how I could have held on to that project..and just waited for the right time...but sometimes life throws you off...and you've got to do what you've got to do to survive...but "if" you can keep it...then DO!...and take the time and do it over a period of time...gather parts...cruise the swapmeets and pick up this and that...otherwise...down the road..when you see some guy crusing his truck/car or what ever..you'll think...@#$%..that could be me

Right now...I probably have to many projects...I've got my 89 4x4 Burb..(which is more rust than project)...my 91 Olds wagon, my 68 C10, and my 37 Pontiac...heck, I haven't done anything with the Pontiac since I got it but take it apart..and store it in the garage..but you know what...I GOT IT! and it's not going anywhere...
1963 Chevy Biscayne 4D Sedan
1971 Chevy C10 (now have 70 cab & frame)
1968 Chevy C10 (parts for the 70)
1991 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (Chevy 355 motor)
1937 Pontiac 8 4D Touring Sedan (in pieces)
Jacksonville, Florida
seanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #17
72 Cheyenne402

I must add I have had my truck for 11 years now. I only have a few things to do to it befor it is road worthy but it needs a lot of body work and I have another cab in my shop and a bed out back. I am not much of a body repair guy and sometimes things get discouraging but don't give up. I have heard all of my friend and some family members say, "I wish I held on to that car/truck" I don't want to be them.
72 Cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #18
ChevyDude

I'm 4 years in...and almost ...well not done.... but almost "very road worthy". Spent a ton of toad skins and loved most of the build. But...there is a lot of time invested in these projects and a lot of money. Sit back and evaluate...give it some good thought, work a budget and a time frame....if it all can make sense...proceed...if not....tap out.

What cha working on ...anyway???

Alex

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #19
corn

Who needs that dang towel anyway? Just dont sell the truck.

Heres what will happen (I know cuz Ive been there). You sell it & THE VERY NEXT DAY, you will see one go by & you will be heart broken. Hang in there, mine sits A LOT, it pretty much sits ALL the time...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote