The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
K Dubb
www.Dubbmotorsports.com

Finally almost done

So jus the driveshaft should be done by today or tomorrow, ive asked ppl how hard it was to hook up that electric overdrive for the 700r4 if some could post a link on some instructions that would be nice...AND the escalde seat is goin in today....Ill take some pics for you guys
Old 06-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Re: Finally almost done

Very easy to hook up the lockup converter -- Find a 83ish + truck with a 700r4, rob it of it's brake light switch, vaccum switch with hoses, and wiring from the transmission to the fuse block.

Change the connector on the end to match your older fuse block. It should be connected to a port that is hot while ignition is on, or hot all the time. It does not matter, as the vac switch and pressure switch inside the transmission will keep the lockup solenoid turned off.

Or, you can buy a fancy aftermarket kit, and use that instead, does the same thing, just that some of them have adjustable vaccum switches, so you can adjust how quickly it drops out of lockup.

Don't drive your truck in O/D without the lockup hooked up, the transmission depends on the torque converter bypass being opened to provide adequate cooling to the transmission, without it, she'll burn up. You can test it by going approx 60 mph, then lightly pushing on the brake to see if it speeds the engine up slightly. It'll almost be like another gear, but not quite.

Post up if you've got any more questions!

Oh, and here is a link to a great tutorial on the subject, with pics etc:

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/lockup.htm

I did drop the pan on my transmission, to check out how my pressure switches were hooked up, and also to change my filter. My transmission was wired to lockup in both 3rd, and O/D, so I cut the wires that ran to the 3rd gear lockup, since that isn't really nessessary, and some guys believe may be part of the reason why these transmissions burn up so frequently (constantly locking and unlocking in 3rd gear). I didn't change the plug on my transmission, and just used compressed air + a volt meter to figure out which posts to use on the original dual post pressure switches.

Last edited by Russell; 06-12-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
K Dubb
www.Dubbmotorsports.com

Re: Finally almost done

Heres the deal.... i bought a kit, took off the pan replace the old solenoid witch only had one prong on it the new solenoid has two prongs so wich wires go where? thats all i got done so far kind stumped tryin to get it ready for this show at the end of the month. thanks for help