The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
76bonanza

back glass

I plan on removing my slider and replacing it with a solid back glass is it easy or do I need a glass place to do it?

Also should I get the glass tinted before or after install?

Thanks
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Kurt L

Re: back glass

leave the slider in i would say comes in handy for cooling in warm weather.[just my.02]
Kurt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
76bonanza

It is just a cruizing truck and nothing looks slicker than a nice smooth dark back glass. I think the sliders look cheap and out of place.
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

Take an old screw driver and grind the end down to a small rounded end @ 1/4" around. Use this to start working the rubber from the inside. Start at the top corners and work around the top, pusjing out on the window while working the rubber trim. Pull the bottom out last. Or if it's old and rotting, just use a razor knife and cut along the glass up towards the sheetmetal till the outer part of the rubber comes off. Then remove the glass and left over rubber by pushing in. To replace it, wrap a strong string arounf the inside of the rubber in the slot that goes over the sheet metal. Spray the inside of the rubber with silcone or WD40. Put the bottom corner of the rubber in first from the outside. Then using your ground off screw driver, work the other corner of the rubber around the corner. Next have someone push in on the window from the outside while up pull the string. Be careful and slow or it could cut the rubber. You should be able to work the rubber all the way around and then it's in. Film tint it after its installed, otherwise the rubber moving around while installing it could cause a wrinkle.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
trkklr77
Account Suspended

Location: vacaville ca, because it as far from indy as i can be

easy to do easy to screw up. if you buy a NEW piece of glass have it done for you, pretty cheap. if you score aused one for cheap do it your self.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Some times you have to sit back and admit that this is something that is better to let the pro's do. I don't know about you but I have never taken out a windshield or rear glass. Side glass and vent windows I've done lot's of times. You never mentioned if you have or plan to go with s/s trim.

I just had my rear window removed to replace my rear s/s trim. I farmed it out and 15 minutes into it I realized that this is not a job to be done in the lane way. The job turned out good and I was back on the road in 90 minutes and the best $75.00 I ever spent. Now think about the cost of the glass .... last guy I know cracked his rear window doing this.

One small tip .... if you do not centre the glass and keep it centred you will have a paint line in different places along your window rubber, You will find out if your cab has been changed or repainted a different color and will require some touch up in those spots. This will likely happen even if a shop does it but no where near as bad if you do it yourself.

esll.
Attached Images

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 06-13-2007 at 11:26 PM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:08 AM   #7
Munron

aaaaand... if you have the stainless steel trim, it has to be in the rubber before it is put into the truck. I learned the hard way years ago that it is impossible to remove or install the stainless steel trim into the rubber gasket with the gasket/glass already installed in the truck. Same goes for the windshield.

Doing this job yourself is a bit tricky, but if you are half way handy and have a friend to help its not too tough to do yourself. After you've done it once or twice, you can probably even do it by yourself. I have, but for the first time definately have a helper.
Munron is offline   Reply With Quote