The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
jeff1vol

Ball Joint replacement question, please help!

If I were to take my truck to a front end shop and have all four ball joints replaced, what would be a fair estimated cost? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm scheduled for the shop to replace 'em on Thursday, but they won't give me a quote until the parts cost is acquired.
Thanks,
Jeff
jeff1vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
lowdowndirtyshame67

Re: Ball Joint replacement question, please help!

Shop around on parts prices before you go and let them now before they give you an estimate. Also, expect your control arm bushings, tie rods and idler arm to be suspect of replacement. Ask around for shop labor rates and estimated labor times, as these charges will be a substantial part of the bill. If you do not recieve a thorough inspection and estimate BEFORE work begins, expect a phone call requesting more money...Also, if the shop uses a computer alignment machine, your factory alignment specs will most likely not pull up on their computer, so they will most likely use a newer model to set your suspension up. The 73-87 alignment specs are close enough to work. I would recommend +.25 to -.5 degrees of camber and 1.5-3.00 of negative caster with a -.5 to -.75 of caster split (that is less neg caster on driver's side to compensate for road crown). If you are running 205-235MM section width (the first three numbers in your tire size), which is close to factory (narrow), I would go with exactly 1/8" of total positive toe. If you are running wider than 235's, I would run 0 total toe. You might have a little less "on center feel" with 0 total toe, but if you run on the higher side on caster, it should compensate. And trust me, running 0 toe will pay off big time on tire wear!!! If your shop can't give you these results, go to a shop that has a real alignment machine.
lowdowndirtyshame67 is offline   Reply With Quote