The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Sandemonium
Proud owner of a 55.1 AD

Question Aftermarket Air Conditioning

Before you get upset, I did use the search feature and the answers to my questions may have been there, but I wasn't able to find them.

I am putting 6.0L (LQ4) engine into my '69 Shortbed with a 4L80E Auto. I want to use the compressor that came with the 6.0L. I have smoothed the firewall and I am looking for an All in One unit that will allow only a bulkhead connector on the firewall.

I am looking at Vintage Air, Classic Air & Hot Rod Air.

Some of you are working on the same type of setup and have done some if not all of the research on the different brands. I have heard not to get the Vintage Air Sure Fit due to my application.

I plan on contacting the manufacturers and getting some information from them, but I would like some real world experience especially on how it fits and works with our trucks.

Can you help me with which brands would be a better fit for my application?

Thank you,

Bob
Sandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
Fastrucken

Re: Aftermarket Air Conditioning

Have you gotten any where with this?

Here is a 2 year old post saing that the classic auto air will work and warrenty it http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=classic+auto

I really dont understand. If their kit can use either or then why not any others?? I'm sure there is nothing special about their evaporator

I have and old air (which I'm not crazy about) and about to try it. Not a whole bunch of info out there, but from what I understand the pump has vanes that adjust to meet the demands of the cooling sys. Its not controlled externally by any means so I dont understand the big deal.

here is a adapter block that will put the lines out the right way but converts to the screw on hoses that would come with an aftermarket kit too http://www.docsblocks.com/compressor_blocks.asp

right now only S&P sell a bracket to mount a sanden and its only for the camaro pulley setup and it expensive for just the bracket.

If i have to put a sanden in my truck I will come up with a bracket of my own to put it in there.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

From what I understand, it has to do with the size of the expansion chamber that allows the CAA system to work with the variable vane compressor. There is a bunch of info over at LS1tech on A/C in the conversions/hybrid forum.

Also, CAA and Vintage both have adapter brackets to use the Sanden compressor in place of the stocker. I'm still unsure which way I want to go. Many people have made the stock compressor work fine...

When are we starting this thing?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy

Last edited by gringoloco; 06-10-2007 at 06:40 PM.
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
Hart_Rod

I plan on using the stock compressor with a vintage air set up.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
killer71

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
From what I understand, it has to do with the size of the expansion chamber that allows the CAA system to work with the variable vane compressor. There is a bunch of info over at LS1tech on A/C in the conversions/hybrid forum.

Also, CAA and Vintage both have adapter brackets to use the Sanden compressor in place of the stocker. I'm still unsure which way I want to go. Many people have made the stock compressor work fine...

When are we starting this thing?
Hey gringoloco, I spoke with sales manager at CAA last friday and they can no longer get the adapter bracket for the sanden compressor, so at this point I'll be going back stock as well unless something else comes up. Talked with vintage air and they have one for the ls1 in the vette, camaro but I have the 5.3 so we'll see!
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #6
Fastrucken

Gringo looks like we'll start in three weeks. just a bunch of **** happening in the next couple, don't sweat it you'll be the first called
Old 06-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Sandemonium
Proud owner of a 55.1 AD

I ended up ordering the CAA electric unit 1-1081 with the 11-2022 condensor kit. It should be here today sometime. Hopefully I wll be able to install it by the weekend, but wont be able to use for a couple of months due to truck not ready to be driven.

After talking with VA and HRA I found the CAA unit to be a better option for me. According to CAA it will work with my stock compressor with no problems.

Since my Cab is an AC cab I bought the ball vents and center vent from them also.

I chose electric because I didn't want to mess with cables or vaccuum lines. All I have to do is figure how to mount the controls in the stock location.

Hope is helps.....
Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
jorgensensc

Not to hijack the thread.... I am going to be putting A.C. in very soon (the heat is making my 5 y/o cranky, which in turns makes me cranky ). I used the VA surefit before, and loved it, howver I'm thinking of smoothing the firewall on this truck and want a bulkhead fitting. My understanding is surefit won't work then, so I have to buy all the components seperately. I was also told that I could buy components for cheaper locally, saving taxes and such and just buying the A.C. unit from them. Can someone give me a list of parts I need? I know the obvious...

condensor (with bracket)
dryer (with bracket)
compressor (and brackets)
Pulleys (I have)
Bulkhead connection
Hoses with fittings
Evaporator (isn't that the A.C. unit itself?)
Controls (I have A.C. controls for thr truck)
Heater hose Shutoff valve.
Vents

Can't I buy some hings from j-yard (condensor, dryer) off a newer truck?
What Am I missing? Thanks in advance!!! Any input is appreciated!

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Last edited by jorgensensc; 06-11-2007 at 12:49 PM.
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Tutt

We will offer a bracket kit to put a Sanden SD-7 compressor on engines with the truck belt placement. We have the prototype done and they should be available in about a month.

Josh
MastMotorsports.com
Tutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
killer71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutt View Post
We will offer a bracket kit to put a Sanden SD-7 compressor on engines with the truck belt placement. We have the prototype done and they should be available in about a month.

Josh
MastMotorsports.com
hey Tutt, what's the bracket gonna run $$$$?
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #11
shifty
Questionable

Hey, Bob! When are you gonna create a buildup thread for your GenIII swap!?

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
Sandemonium
Proud owner of a 55.1 AD

I guess if I really knew what I was doing I would be able to post a thread, but given how this project has gone I would write something and then a couple of days later I would have to edit what was written and only then it would be half correct.

It seems with this it has been 2 steps forward 1 3/4 back and so it goes.

Like I have said before, THANK YOU for all you have done on your thread it has helped more than once when I was trying to figure something out.

I suppose when my truck is on the road I will write a condensed version of the build, but it will not nor can it ever be as complete as yours....

Old 06-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #13
Hart_Rod

I talked to Vintage Air yesterday and I think this is what I'm going to put in the Suburban (and probably the CrewCab):

http://www.vintageair.com/cat2006/19.pdf

http://www.vintageair.com/products2006.asp

They are also working on retro-kit that will allow you to use the factory controls with this kit (no time frame given).

Check this out, you can also buy mockups .
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote