The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Stop aluminum issues

I have mostly an aluminum extra engine. meaning the valve covers intake and timmeing chain cover are aluminum. how do we stop the issues to polishing every day.

My block as sate for some time so i need to take is apart again but the aluminum would be nice if i didnt have to keep cleaning it. But if not cleaning it give me somethink to do.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
benoit454
Chris

Re: Stop aluminum issues

GOOD TOPIC!!!!!!!!

I was coming on tonight to ask the same thing, how guys with alum. valve covers kept them polished on the vehicle or what they used.

I know I've found using my car body buffing and rubbing compound, along with machine polish and the mag/alum. polish all 3 together one after the other work well.

However mine get water spots and look aweful and I hate it.

Just tried mothers power ball, nothing special on it, had to end up doing it by hand. However I didn't try their power metal polish.

Only thing I got and use other then the car stuff is eagle one mag and alum. in a tub. That's what I've found so far.

Normal car wax doesn't seem to do much, neither does mother's chrome polish, not on the alum. anyways.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
72BLUZ

you might could have that clear coat put on those parts. you know the coating that is used on aluminum wheels. i am not sure how that will work. start checking with the wheel manufacturers!!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
benoit454
Chris

I thought of that but from many experiences in the past I said no way.

The stuff turns yellow, dull or spotty after awhile and looks aweful.

Someone said clear powder coated once though, never thought of it.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

If you want to keep it bright, there are a couple of things to consider, either chrome everything, OR polish the parts and coat them with the ZOOPS compound. I have a fair amount of polished items under my hood and I use a metal sealer treatment from Wizards polishes to keep dirt and corrosion out of the pores of the aluminum. I have a polished radiator, windshield washer container, radiator overflow, master cylinder cover, power steering cap, hose brackets, A/C dryer/canister, and many other things, usch as billet wheels. I usually polish once a yeara and clean up the rest of the year to keep dust off. The metal treatment does make a difference
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
If you want to keep it bright, there are a couple of things to consider, either chrome everything, OR polish the parts and coat them with the ZOOPS compound. ....
These are your best options. Betond that you can polish them then use clear paint to protect them, but it will take some of the shine off.

Another optionis to have the HPC or Jet coated. It's not as bright as chrome, and looks a little more blue than polished aluminum but it holds up very nicely.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote