The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
wildmanaaron

Swapping A/C Set-up to Non-AC Question

Other than the control panel in the dash, and the actual box on the firewall, what else is different on a Non-AC 73-87 Truck?

I am thinking about removing the A/C set-up on my Blazer since I never drive it with the top on anyways and to get the firewall a little less cluttered. I do plan on keeping all of the A/C set-up if I ever sell the thing though.

What wiring is different? Is there a lot of difference between the box inside the cab different between a Truck that has air and one that doesn't?
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: Swapping A/C Set-up to Non-AC Question

There is some difference in the air box inside, and the hole in the firewall is a lot bigger.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
There is some difference in the air box inside, and the hole in the firewall is a lot bigger.
I took off my AC. The bracket from your power steering to your ac pump can easily be modified.
About the airbox on the firewall. I took the condenser? out and closed the holes where the AC lines came out of it. I also removed a bunch of AC wires from under the hood, plus the little AC rad from in front of my radiator. My air box was completely plugged with crap and debree. After I cleaned it out the heater sure worked better. I dont think a regular non AC air box will fit your firewall. Even inside the cab I think they are different. I know a non AC truck takes a different heater core. BTW this is a great time to replace your heater core! Also to get that air box off its a lot easier if you remove the passenger side inner wheel well. That box is fiberglass so dont go prying on it to hard.
Sure cleaned things up under the hood with the AC removed.
If your trying to make your truck look like it never had AC in the first place I think the vents in your dash are different for trucks without AC. Example my truck still has the original dash pad with the AC vents but I took out the plumbing for them thats under the dash. This gives you a lot more room to work at stuff under the dash.
I would post pics but im not very handy with a computer. But im glad I got rid of all that AC stuff. Truck is a lot cleaner now.

Last edited by Roper; 06-18-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
wildmanaaron

So I guess I couldn't use the non-air firewall box over the holes on my original a/c firewall?

I am using an LS-1 in my Blazer so the bracketry is irrelevant on my application. Does anything from the wiring panel that sticls out of the firewall have anything to do with the A/C set-up or is it all confined to the plug that goes to the contorl panel and such?

Last edited by wildmanaaron; 06-18-2007 at 10:30 AM.
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Roper

"So I guess I couldn't use the non-air firewall box over the holes on my original a/c firewall? "

Im thinking no because it looks so much smaller.

"I am using an LS-1 in my Blazer so the bracketry is irrelevant on my application. Does anything from the wiring panel that sticls out of the firewall have anything to do with the A/C set-up or is it all confined to the plug that goes to the contorl panel and such?"

I cant remember but I think on mine there was a whole bunch of AC wiring coming from the firewall that I removed. Its really no problem taking it off.Just take off everything thats attached to the AC.

BTW If my AC would have worked I would have left it on. But it didnt and I know from experiences with other old trucks that an old AC system is high maintanace. Your fixing something all the time. So I ot rid of it.
Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
boatpuller

here's what i did.it wasn't cheap but,i got a/c and no ugly box.i'm still not done with firewall.but it will do for now.there is an a/c delete panel available.but i'm not sure what your left with as far as heater/defrost.iv'e seen em on ebay,there molded plastic or fiberglass and go for about a $100.there is some guys on here that have fabbed some panels too.
Attached Images