The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
big dump

72 A/c

So I got the top on the '72 this week and drove it around for the first time this summer (had the top off for painting and freshening up). BTW, summer here in AZ is hot in case you didn't know. Up until last night the air was working fine, but last night with the blower on high, it cut out on me. I can still turn it on the low setting, but when I switch it all the way down to hi, it doesn't blow. Where should I start? Do you think it's the switch? Or the blower motor? I hate to start throwing parts at it, any suggestions for trouble shooting are appreciated. Thanks.
big dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
HuggerCST

Re: 72 A/c

I would start by checking the wiring at the blower switch. It is a notorious problem area. If you don't find a bad connection, or burnt wire, check the blower switch. If it blows on low, then your blower motor is good. Here is a FAQ link to a schematic, and some other good info. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=216549
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

You need to replace the highspeed blower relay. I have the same problem - the two lower settings work, but nothing in high. I have replaced the the switch (twice) and the resister. WES at Classicheartbeat.com informed me that it is the highspeed blower relay that causes this problem. I've got the new one sitting in the garage, just waiting to install it.

The highspeed blower relay is located under the glove box and is a pain to get at. Second item down on http://classicheartbeat.com/heater_&_a_c_2.htm
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
EFI70Blazer

Try checking the fuse. Mine would only work on two speeds until i replaced the 15 amp fuse for it. If it blows the fuse again. I would replace the relay.

The fuse is the second row down and third one over to the right.

70 GMC Jimmy 4x4
70 Camaro LS1 plans in the works
71 RS/SS Camaro numbers matching
86 Chevy Silverado SWB 4x4 (454 merlin heads, 3/4 running gear upgrade, Detroit lockers front and rear)

Last edited by EFI70Blazer; 06-17-2007 at 06:46 PM.
EFI70Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
big dump

Thanks for the feedback guys. As it turns out, this thing has turned into a larger project than I hoped for. I replaced the terminals on the back of the switch which seemed to fiix the blower. However, when I started it up, the compressor belt starting squeeling really bad. So I inspected the belt and it was loose, so I tightened it up and it squeeled worse. Not only that, but the water pump pulley started wobbling badly too, probably from a misalignment of the compressor (PO). So I inspected the water pump and it was about ready to go on me, the bearings seem shot inside. So what started as a simple fix, has turned into tearing the front of the motor appart trying to re-align pullies and new pumps, etc. Always something with these trucks. I'll keep you all posted.
big dump is offline   Reply With Quote