The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
chevroletrestoguy

removing ignition switch

I am still disassembling my 65. I removed the instrument panel and can see that the ignition switch is tightened down by the ring on the outside of the panel. but it appears that the "wings" on the switch have to be removed to take this switch out. Any help on how to do this would be appreciated.
chevroletrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
slepysal

Re: removing ignition switch

if your chrome is bad vise grips will work
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:00 AM   #3
LILRED66
Account Suspended

On the side of your factory light switch is a small button that will depress. Push the button in with one hand and pull the light switch with the other. With the button depressed, the light switch knob with the stem attached, will pull all the way out of the switch. Sometimes they are a little fussy and you need to mess with it a little. Do it while laying on your back on the floor board, because it is easier to depress the button and see what you are doing.

Once the stem pulls out, the chrome dash bezel keeper nut can be removed with a wide blade slotted screw driver. Turn it counter-clockwise and it will spin out, releasing the light switch from the underside of the dash. Once the switch is free from dash, unplug the connector and your switch is free. To install, reverse these steps. I always give the switch a good cleaning and apply a liberal amount of dielectric grease to the switch stem, as well as to the blades of the connector. It will operate more smoothly with the years of dirt removed and the grease applied.

Good luck with removing your switch.

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-08-2007 at 03:02 AM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
chevroletrestoguy

Lilred,
Thanks for the instructions on the light switch. I am looking for help on removing the ignition (key) switch. I know you have the secret to it .
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
LILRED66
Account Suspended

I guess I need to learn how to read. Oh well, now you know how to remove the light switch. To remove the ignition switch, as slepysal says, remove it with a pair of vise grips, however I suggest using something to protect the chrome bezel nut from damage. You can also use a spanner wrench. It looks similar to an end wrech, but with a "C" shaped end and a small hook on the end to capture the groove in the bezel nut. I don't have one, but I have seen them for this use. The nut is threaded onto your ignition switch and they usually come off relatively easy. You can also use a small slotted screw driver in the groove to bump it counter-clockwise until it comes free. When you put it back on, apply some dielectric grease to the connector blades and the threads. It will go back together easier and the connection will be better, not to mention easier to take apart next time.

The tumbler comes out by inserting the end of a small paper clip into the hole in the top of the tumbler and removing the tumbler from the ignition housing.

Good luck with the project and sorry for the dissertation about the light switch.

Tony

Last edited by LILRED66; 06-08-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
ClassicAutoResto
Rust Buster

When you put a paper clip into the hole on the tumbler, turn the ignition switch to acc (left) and it will pop out. Your switch will come out then. Just make sure you don't put the tumbler back in until you put the switch in,(been there done that...HEE HEE) the wings on the tumbler won't pass through the opening. Jerry
ClassicAutoResto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
LILRED66
Account Suspended

The bezel nut has to be removed before the ignition switch can be removed from the dash bezel, regardless of whether the tumbler is removed or installed. With the tumbler out, the switch will not come out off the dash bezel without the bezel nut being removed.

Tony
Old 06-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
ClassicAutoResto
Rust Buster

Sorry if I was not clear enough, I was adding to the previous instructions from LILRED. Jerry
ClassicAutoResto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
chevroletrestoguy

Thanks for the help guys...I'm going to jump back on it tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Did you get your ignition switch out? Let us know how things are progressing.

Tony
Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
chevroletrestoguy

I did get it out yesterday. Also, got the cab off the frame and I am very nearly ready for sandblasting the frame and its components. I plan on completing the suspension and frame restoration before starting on the cab. I'll post some pictures when I get them downloaded from my camera.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
Primer70
Superbad

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but I've also got a problem with my ignition switch. I've got a 69 Chevy that I don't have the ignition key for, is there any way to remove the lock cylinder from the switch without the key?
Primer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
Back in Black 66

as a automotive locksmith i know they are easy to pick over if you know anybody with a pick set. or a piece of metal you can shape like a pick then all you need to do is put tension on it and pick away!

Last edited by Back in Black 66; 06-16-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Back in Black 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #14
Bob66

It's pretty easy to turn old chevy locks with another old chevy key by inserting the key and pulling it in and out with tension to the right(clockwise). I've had trucks I could start with a screwdriver. I used my camper key to open an S10 my buddy locked himself out of the other day. good reason to run hidden switches with an electric fuel pump, no vapor lock and will only run until the float bowl goes dry. A thief isn't going to open the hood in the middle of the road and trouble shoot your truck. This saved a '59 I had, cops called me and asked why I left my truck angled into the curb, rear end out in traffic. Kind of low tech Onstar without the fees.

Last edited by Bob66; 06-19-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Bob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #15
hewlett2002000

Question Re: removing ignition switch

hell when i got my 66 the guy dident have the key for it so i tried my 62 key on it and it works in the ignition and the doors. and also if i was the steeling type(i hate thieves) i could have drove off with a fully restored 66 truck from a used car dealership. i was looking at it and for the heck of it i tried my key and it turned the ignition on.
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:43 PM   #16
LILRED66
Account Suspended

With a new tumbler set for the ignition, doors and glove box, your keys will work on your truck and have a specific keyway, thus only your keys will work. The old tumblers get worn out over the years of use and become pretty liberal in their operation.

Tony