The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
1968SWBBigBlock

Brake Question

Ok heres the story line.
I took out the rear end from my truck. When we put it back in we replaced the lines with new stainless & flex line. We tried bleeding them the old fashioned way pumping the peddle and closing/opening the bleeder. We could not get any fluid. Moved to a one man vaccum pump, got some fluid, maybe 1/3 of a bottle then it stopped. The system would old the Vacuum, but no more fluid would flow. Checked the master cylinder and it still had plenty of fluid. Started looking for pinched lines, pulled the connection off the flex line at the frame, same thing can pull a Vac but no fluid, found the next fitting next to the header under the cab, split the fitting, no fluid, pulled a Vac, it held no fluid.
So whats the problem?
Bad splitter block?
Bad Master Cylinder?
Anything I missed?
I thought the brakes worked fine before but maybe not?
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Ace in the hole

Re: Brake Question

could it be you have a blockage in one of the lines you replaced? you pulled some fluid past it but then it may have moved and stopped in a bend or some thing. I have never had it with brake lines but I did have a spider or something crawl in a small hydraulic line and block it once, just a thought for you.
Ace in the hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
casterbuster
Mejor Que Nada

I just had the same problem when I did my front disc swap... What I had to end up doing was this... I took the rear brake line lose at the proportional valve and slid the end of a snuggly fitting hose over the end of the line.

I then placed the place the hose into a new bottle of fluid and went to the back with my hand pump and pulled fluid into the system until it was completely air free,

Then I went back to the proportional valve and made a line from the outlet of the valve and ran it into the bowl of the master cylinder. I used clear plastic hose hear which is very important. I actually did this for both the front and the rear at the same time... Then I sat in the truck and pushed the pedal in as far as it would go and held it.. You should be able to see your lines from the gap between your hood and your cowl. You will notice while the pedal is down there will be air bubbles in your hose going into the bowl... Now this is very important slowly begin releasing the brake, but not so fast that the bubbles pull back into the proportional valve, if you release slow enough it will pull fluid underneath the bubbles back into the valve... the next time you push the pedal...push it a little harder, or quicker and hold it again the fluid should push some of the of the bubble into the the bowl which will let it escape...release the pedal slowly again... repeat these steps until all of the air is out of the mastercylinder and the proportional valve... then hook your lines up and and bleed them normally... Make sure your bowls never go dry... Or you will have to start all over

Last edited by casterbuster; 06-20-2007 at 11:16 PM.
casterbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

There is a pin that sticks out of the front of the prop valve. that needs to be pushed in to properly bleed the rear brakes. It holds the residual valve open for fluid to by pass.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casterbuster View Post
I just had the same problem when I did my front disc swap... What I had to end up doing was this... I took the rear brake line lose at the proportional valve and slid the end of a snuggly fitting hose over the end of the line.

I then placed the place the hose into a new bottle of fluid and went to the back with my hand pump and pulled fluid into the system until it was completely air free,

Then I went back to the proportional valve and made a line from the outlet of the valve and ran it into the bowl of the master cylinder. I used clear plastic hose hear which is very important. I actually did this for both the front and the rear at the same time... Then I sat in the truck and pushed the pedal in as far as it would go and held it.. You should be able to see your lines from the gap between your hood and your cowl. You will notice while the pedal is down there will be air bubbles in your hose going into the bowl... Now this is very important slowly begin releasing the brake, but not so fast that the bubbles pull back into the proportional valve, if you release slow enough it will pull fluid underneath the bubbles back into the valve... the next time you push the pedal...push it a little harder, or quicker and hold it again the fluid should push some of the of the bubble into the the bowl which will let it escape...release the pedal slowly again... repeat these steps until all of the air is out of the mastercylinder and the proportional valve... then hook your lines up and and bleed them normally... Make sure your bowls never go dry... Or you will have to start all over
This sounds right - although it isn't exactly what I did - it is effectively the same thing.

I had the same problem with the fronts on mine actually.
I had bench bled my master cylinder, and also had a new prop valve and to it. For whatever reason the M/C air-locked on the front pod.

What carterbuster is describing is bench bleeding the master cylinder with the prop valve attached, while on the truck. Honestly, this should probably be done with the prop out of line (just come out of the M/C ports back into the bowls), but his testimony is proof it will work otherwise I suppose.

I tried pushing the pin in and everything else - but to no avail. Re-bleeding the master is all that got me bleeding the system again.

DLB
Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
casterbuster
Mejor Que Nada

Well, before I did this... I had bench bled the master by itself several different times. This was my last resort and what do you know it worked.
casterbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casterbuster View Post
it worked.
Case and point.

DLB