The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
haus
MMMM Ramen!

stupid loud pedal!

Well.... just like most of these sob stories start, I was having a lousy day the other day, was really hard pressed for time - wife started nagging on the phone about "I need to pick up some drive thru food"
So I'm in the drive thru and the fella taking my order is getting on my nerves, normally he wouldn't even register on my PO scale, but I'm going nuts, so I REALLY feel like bringing him down to my level... so I think to myself "my exhaust is loud, and if I throw some more gas down this motor, it'll be REAL loud in this jerk's earpiece"

so you can already see where I'm going here... more gas, let out clutch, POP BANG BANG BANG!! WTF was that!? So when I hop out and look under the truck, the rear driveshaft is hanging. Busted the rear U joint in three worthless pieces, busted one dog ear, and I'm due to leave the base this week, and leave the country next month, and the truck still needs to be shipped to my dad's. to top it off, movers already packed out my tools, so I'd be barrowing wrenches and such, and I have final inspection on my house Monday, so no garage either... perfect timing! never fails does it? I'm glad I wasn't planning on driving cross country... lucky for me, someone was nice enough to not only tow me out of the drive thru, but all the way home! (about a mile) Really saved my bacon!

So my question is - does anyone know if a rear driveshaft from a different year (73-) 4wd Blazer would swap right out with mine? The local junk yard only has two trucks of our years, and they are both 2wd long beds - and pretty bare at that...

- 1970 chevy blazer
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Re: stupid loud pedal!

Not sure about the drive shaft. But when I broke my u-joint I pulled the rear shaft and put it in 4-wheel to get it home. That would probably be fine for shipping too.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
ABLAZN
Oh..never mind....

First of all, I feel your pain. I did the same thing 20+ years ago, but mine busted the pinion yoke and the the drive shaft was fine. To answer your question, I think that the '73 and up had a longer wheelbase and might not work. There may be enough compression in the upper slip yoke that it might work in a pinch. Like stated above, you could just turn it into a front wheel drive for a short time with no problems.
Turbo 350
NP-205
454 BB (for now)
MORE TO COME !!!!!! Now going to 2WD!!!!!

Sold.

I got it back after 22 years and did not even know it !!!
THE STORY HERE

Project Low Down Dirty Rat

Last edited by ABLAZN; 06-24-2007 at 12:06 AM.
ABLAZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
haus
MMMM Ramen!

I pulled the rear drive shaft and put it in 4 high. I guess I'm looking for an quick long term fix... (does that exist??) Cause I know I'm not supposed to run 4wd on dry pavement, so fwd would put the same strains on the front axle. If I can get it limped over to my brother's place and get the truck shipped soon, I can deal with it by putting a little more thought and effort and more than likely - beefed up... I really don't want to relive that drive thru experience. Thanks for the help guys.

- 1970 chevy blazer
Old 06-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
larry may

haus WHAT is that critter laying in the road as your Avatar. Looks like a monster size Red Fox.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

You can get any shaft made you need at a drive line specialty shop. You can usually find them in the yellow pages. More expensive than a junkyard, but a stronger option.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
Cause I know I'm not supposed to run 4wd on dry pavement, so fwd would put the same strains on the front axle.
If needed, you won't be doing any harm driving in 4wd with just the front axle getting power. If both axles were connected you can cause harm creating bind between the front and the rear but with just the front driveshaft connected you aren't creating any bind.

Good luck with getting it fixed.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
haus
MMMM Ramen!

larry may -that's two GI Joes standing over a squirrel. Looks freaky doesn't it? If you find the full size picture, the curb and the yellow line give it away... the web content filter is blocking me, so I can't find the full picture.

hgs_notes -You read my mind. I figure on doing that eventually when I'm tinkering with it at dad's. I'll probably find me some beefy U-joints as well. If I'm gonna spend the money on a driveshaft, I might as well cover my bases.

Yukon Jack -I had heard once about the tires turning at the same rate - which could pose a problem on enough turns. (outside wheel needs to turn more than inside) But I got it over to my brother's place, so no worries.

Thanks again everybody for the advise.

- 1970 chevy blazer