The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
HomerJ

Strippers' smooth skin and fine bodies

Okay, so it's a bit of a play on words, but at least it will get some views

Really, I'm looking for a place in or around Oklahoma City to bead/sand/media blast my 67 Fleetside LWB. There's quite a bit of surface rust on the hood and bed, but the only "cancer" is the typical rocker panels and lower-right-side front fender. The serious rust is not a concern, just removing the old paint and surface rust.

I would really prefer media blasting, but am at the point that I'm willing to entertain almost anything. I would do it myself with my DA sander and elbow grease, but just don't have the time to take that on.

Any suggestions???
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Strippers' smooth skin and fine bodies

Surely someone in OkCity can do the job. I have a friend in LR who does powder coating. They do media blasting as well as sand blasting. The media is baking soda. It doesn't harm the metal in any way, doesn't damage the glass or any of the trim or even the rubber. It just takes the paint off, and the original markings from the steel manufacturer can often be seen on the metal.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Random Guy

Well you got my attention heh. If you are willing to got as far as East Texas I know of a couple of guys that could help, but I am sure they wouldnt be any better than what is available in OKC. Thanks for the chuckle tho =)

1968 C10 Fleetside LWB

Remember Cthulu is watching you!

/ (@) (@) \
Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
randomhero472

homer.. just google media blasting oklahoma city, i've also talked to a couple powder coat shops and they all do sandblasting, maybe they could recomend somebody... surely theres a place that does it.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

what kind of prices are there out ther for this kind of work?

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Strippers' smooth skin and fine bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
Okay, so it's a bit of a play on words, but at least it will get some views

Really, I'm looking for a place in or around Oklahoma City to bead/sand/media blast my 67 Fleetside LWB. There's quite a bit of surface rust on the hood and bed, but the only "cancer" is the typical rocker panels and lower-right-side front fender. The serious rust is not a concern, just removing the old paint and surface rust.

I would really prefer media blasting, but am at the point that I'm willing to entertain almost anything. I would do it myself with my DA sander and elbow grease, but just don't have the time to take that on.

Any suggestions???
with a 6'' DA pad some 36 grit stick on paper and a 3/8 drill you can strip your entire truck yourself in about 3 hour's , you don't need any company to take your money just do it yourself it's easy !!
Attached Images

19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
HomerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Surely someone in OkCity can do the job. I have a friend in LR who does powder coating. They do media blasting as well as sand blasting. The media is baking soda. It doesn't harm the metal in any way, doesn't damage the glass or any of the trim or even the rubber. It just takes the paint off, and the original markings from the steel manufacturer can often be seen on the metal.
ChevLoRay, I've been thinking about the local powder coating places. I'm glad you posted. I'll stop by one some time in the next week or so and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
Well you got my attention heh. If you are willing to got as far as East Texas I know of a couple of guys that could help, but I am sure they wouldnt be any better than what is available in OKC. Thanks for the chuckle tho =)
I've considered going outside OK, but my brother -who is doing the bodywork and paint - has a body shop nearby, just doesn't have the equipment to media blast. He has about as much spare time as I do, so anything I can do to cut down the amount of time he has to spend reduces the time until I get my truck back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero472 View Post
homer.. just google media blasting oklahoma city, i've also talked to a couple powder coat shops and they all do sandblasting, maybe they could recomend somebody... surely theres a place that does it.
I've tried googling, but didn't have much luck (pretty sad, being the long-time computer geek that I am). I'll try again - I know how finicky search engines are. BTW, I love the build thread. Your cab looks so much like my truck, I had to do a double-take (color, rust patterns, firewall markings, etc)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
with a 6'' DA pad some 36 grit stick on paper and a 3/8 drill you can strip your entire truck yourself in about 3 hour's , you don't need any company to take your money just do it yourself it's easy !!
wow - 36-grit seems pretty aggressive. How much time (and money) will you have to spend to fill or remove the swirl marks?

Thanks to all for your replies!!!