The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
cweber

Newbie question

I have always wanted a bagged truck, but have never really got my questions answered. I was wondering how a truck thats bagged does with more horsepower. Ive watched the hotrod shows and seen them put bags on a camero for performance, but what about if your laying rocker? Is the suspension still solid enough for 4-500 hp and driving at highspeeds?

If your want the truck that low, can you still run shocks? Ive had friends that ghettoed their truck with no shocks and all they did was bounce down the highway. So do you give up the ride for the look? Thanks and sorry if these are dumb questions.
cweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Re: Newbie question

Welcome to the board, and here is my take on your questions...

1) You can have bags and run whatever horsepower you want. They are simply air bladders in the place of springs. Granted, you may not ride at the exact height you want when you're hooking up, but you should be able to lay it out still. It all comes down to the suspension geometry and how it controls the center of gravity, center of inertia, and other loading forces acting upon the vehicle. Semis haul full loads up mountains with airbags, why shouldn't we? My only concern is that when you set up a truck to lay out, some consessions in optimal geometry are typically taken to get that low, but if designed right, you'll hook and go safely and repeatedly.

2) Shocks are a vital piece of safety equipment. NEVER RUN WITHOUT SHOCKS!!! It can cause your truck to handle bad (no matter what others say, it's true) and is a serious safety concern. You'll find the bagged trucks that hang out here run shocks. Finding and fitting the right pair can take a little measuring and a trip to the parts store to study their parts books, but you'll find a shock to fit and will install it and will enjoy the ride. (Shocks especially needed in high speed/horsepower applications such as yours).

3) I like round numbers, and three seems to fill out this list. Good luck with your project and keep asking questions around here.

4) Camaro. CamAro. camAro. (sorry to be a jerk).
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST

Last edited by lowrollin70gmc; 06-29-2007 at 05:11 PM.
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
cweber

Sorry bout the camaro spelling,lol, i know how to spell it. I was just crunched for time. I had an 81 Z28 deluxe not long ago, but had to get rid of it through some bad delings. Thank you for your help. It sounds like some of my friends are dumb for running shockless on their setups. Plus i couldnt stand to bounce down the road.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

I'm just giving you a hard time, most people that mispell it don't know they stopped production. I will admit I'm running $10 shocks that are worn out and I couldn't imagine how much worse I would ride without them, especially as I don't have sway bars. Just keep hanging out and you'll learn.

Here's a lesson, don't buy from AIM Industries/ChassisTech/Airbagit.com, etc. I did and regret it and that tends to be their theme.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
cweber

They stopped makin camaros?
j/k

Im glad you said that cause thats were i was lookin. Are the products just crap? Where do you recomend?

I you were starting a new project, what would you start on first. The truck that i most likly will end up with is a 77 lwb, with a tune up and flywheel will run and drive.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweber View Post
....Im glad you said that cause that's were i was lookin. Are the products just crap? Where do you recommend?.....
They do have some decent product as well as total crap. You never know what your going to get. What you will get is screwed on shipping. You will also get bent over if you ever need to return something even if THEY sent you the wrong item.

There are hundreds of stories on the net about how bad they rape people on shipping, bad product, etc. Please do not fall victim to their cheap prices.

If your looking for great products on a budget check out *****************

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
cweber

That nice to know. By the way your truck is the one ive been looki for on the site. I saw it one day and havnt been able to find it again. The one in your avitar, Is one of the nicest trucks ive ever layed eyes on!(not saying bad things on other trucks, just for my taste) I absolutly love it and is what im looking for. Do you have a build thread on the suspension?