The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
DURRTY
USMC

more air capacity?

I have a 3hp(240v) 21 gallon compressor. Its not enough to run palm sander or anything that runs continuously.

If I connected a 10 gallon tank with about 10 feet of 2-3 inch pipe would that give me a true 40gal++ capacity? the only thing that i can think is it that it will take longer to fill. Im going to put a regulator at the end of it all also.

how does it sound and has any tried it?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
pound41

Re: more air capacity?

Go into paint and Body forum and search. This was a topic not too long ago. Some said not a problem others said yes it works but the motor will have to run for a greater length of time because you will be working while its running and trying to catch up. This will Greatly reduce the life of motor.
I personally have done what you are thinking of
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
DURRTY
USMC

GOOD ill look around there

The thing runs non stop any way when Im running most any tool. So The run time wont be much worse.
I'm going to do it The compressor has a decent warranty on it so if it breaks I can get a new one. I might get a bigger one if it does break.

I appreciate the reply
Old 07-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

If it runs almost constantly now, it won't really help you out to add storage capacity. The pump only produces so many cfm, unless you plan on taking longer breaks to allow the compressor to catch up, it's probably not worth the trouble.

Your best bet is to shop around for a belt drive, 2 cylinder, single stage compressor on a 60 gallon tank. It will run fairly quiet, produces plenty of air for the typical home mechanic and is much cheaper than any 2 stage compressor. I used to work at the Coleman-Powermate plant that builds these things. I'm not going to push that brand, but that is the style to look for. I have also seen a 40 gallon tank and 27 gallon tank with the same pumps on them for a less expensive option. The main thing to check is the cfm ratings and making sure you have the right outlet to plug it in to. If you get the bigger ones, you'll have to add a 230 volt outlet. It's really not that hard to do.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote