The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
Goodguytrucks

Question - Shaved Doors

Where is the best place to get a remote kit when you shave your doors in a 67-72 truck ?
Goodguytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Select
Friday's Toy

Re: Question - Shaved Doors

The 01 Dakota R/T I traded the 68 SWB Step for had shaved handles on it. I used Autoloc for it all. I used the Stellar alarm system with the aux. outputs. As far as the solenoids I used the 100lb. ones. I wired eveything with double relays in parallel so if one relay fails you have a back-up to go along with it. One word of advice....do not rely on the door hinges as a good ground for the one wire solenoids. If I had to do it again I wouldn't do it. I went through 4 100 lb $100 solenoids in the short time I had it installed due to the solenoids rusting up on me....Mikey
Select is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Select View Post
...If I had to do it again I wouldn't do it. I went through 4 100 lb $100 solenoids in the short time I had it installed due to the solenoids rusting up on me....Mikey
I want to shave the doors on my ride also. If a guy were to wrap the solenoids in a plastic bag, would that help? Not sure if that's a feasible solution; just a thought....

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Select
Friday's Toy

Not in my case. I used diaelectric(sp) grease to lube mine and they would still sieze on me. They were located on the rear portion of the door not bolted behind the door panel. It was the only way I could get the clearances on the Dakota. The only way I could fathom of saving the cost of replacement would be to mount them upside down using a pulley system. Then if you did that you run the chance of jumping track on the pulley. I was never able to come up with a solution.....Mikey
Select is offline   Reply With Quote