The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
ArmyVette

EZ Wiring

I'm thinking of going with their EZ 21 setup http://www.ezwiring.com/ and i was also thinking about their power window setup. Has anyone had good or bad results from them? Is 145 a good price for the power windows?

Thanks in advance.
ArmyVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
jkaylor68gmc

Re: EZ Wiring

I have has some real trouble with my 21 circuit wiring harness, I will be honest, It has had some ify problems. I dont like the Gm style fuse panel and the price is a deal but you get a pre-wired panel that you have to snip and cut wires for on the back then it makes a mess. I would recommend the Ron Francis kit. It is much more but if you will just buy the panel and wire and DIY it will be much cheaper. The Francis kit has a pre plug for each one, that way you do not have wires you don't need. Much Much nicer.
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
68laydout

Don't do the universal harness if you’re a novice electrical person. I'm speaking from experience. I just recently installed the ez21 all black, which is nice quality for the money. I would definitely pay the $400 for Painless harness any day, if I had to do it over again. The ez harness is UNIVERSAL, so it takes some electrical know how to wire up the blinkers and such correctly. I had my brother helping me and he's an electrical engineer. I would have never figured that **** out without him, he ran the batteries dead in my ohm meter doing continuity tests...no joke.

Good luck. Cory
68laydout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Random Guy

As with anything the right tools make all the difference. If you jump in with nothing more than a pair of wirecutters you are in for a bumpy ride. Get a good meter, a good crimper, extra wire (you never have to much), good cutters, a good push/pull rod, and if you can find one a schematic of your truck.

One of the best tools i have ever used is one that hardly anyone thinks of. Get a label maker and mark your wires. You would be suprised how much this helps.

1968 C10 Fleetside LWB

Remember Cthulu is watching you!

/ (@) (@) \
Random Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
ArmyVette

well the biggest issue i think is quality. If the quality is bad I may fork up the extra two bills or so to get the painless setup. I found the 18 circuit for our trucks for 349.99 but I'm not afraid to put in the time and effort to set up the EZ kit. While I am a novice, my dad will be helping and we have all the right tools to do the job. If it helps the truck will be completely torn down because we are in the process of making two trucks into one so when we start that I will be able to wire things up without the fear of things being in the way.

also if anyone knows of a cheaper painless set up feel free to chime in

Last edited by ArmyVette; 07-03-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
68laydout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVette View Post
well the biggest issue i think is quality. If the quality is bad I may fork up the extra two bills or so to get the painless setup. I found the 18 circuit for our trucks for 349.99 but I'm not afraid to put in the time and effort to set up the EZ kit. While I am a novice, my dad will be helping and we have all the right tools to do the job. If it helps the truck will be completely torn down because we are in the process of making two trucks into one so when we start that I will be able to wire things up without the fear of things being in the way.

also if anyone knows of a cheaper painless set up feel free to chime in

Get the painless, trust me. It's worth the extra $200, and you will save yourself many hours of mental anguish. You will be wishing you did. The quality is good and I've had no issues with mine yet. The wire is very nice quality, but the fuse panel is a little flimsy.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
68laydout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
As with anything the right tools make all the difference. If you jump in with nothing more than a pair of wirecutters you are in for a bumpy ride. Get a good meter, a good crimper, extra wire (you never have to much), good cutters, a good push/pull rod, and if you can find one a schematic of your truck.

One of the best tools i have ever used is one that hardly anyone thinks of. Get a label maker and mark your wires. You would be suprised how much this helps.
Have you ever installed a universal harness? The right tools make the job easier, but if you don't know much about electricty, your in for a bumpy ride. I have a very good knowledge in wiring full custom audio/video systems, but this truck was a different story. I think the universal-ness of the harness made the install more difficult. There just isn't much to making your blinkers blink and so on, but it sure was a pain in the ass to get them to blink with the harness.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
Musclerodz

I prefer American Autowire's Highway 22 kit for a universal harness. You get alot more for your money and easy to read instructions and is way better than a prewired fuse block that you may not use all the circuits in leaving you with a bunch of wires bundled up under the dash. There is also a update harness AAW is coming out the end of the year as well for 67-72 trucks.

Mike
Old 07-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
ArmyVette

Well I appreciate all the feedback..you guys probably just changed my mind. So where can i get the cheapest painless kit... part number 10206

thanks again
Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
Shane
Account Suspended

I have the American Auto Wire 26 circuit harness. It is a very well made harness ... and at way less than half a painless to boot.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I have installed several of the EZ wire harnesses. I have had no issues, but I have been doing auto electrical and wiring for about 10 years.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote