The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
tmose2

bad brakes

hey guys, first time poster here! I really enjoy the forum. Now I got a question.. My 85 Chevy 1/2 pickup has got a real annoying habit.. the brakes are locking up on the front, and the rear is sliding out and around. So far I have replace all the brake pads, new front hubs, new rear drums, new master cylinder, bled the system, bled the system down to the block where the brake system warning unit on the frame. The master cylinder is pushing fluid back into the resivor when the pedal is pushed. The pedal goes to the floor.I have a small video of the fluid coming out of the resivoir if anyone needs to see what I am taking about. This one has me totally baffled, and the guys at the counter at o'reilly too. Anyone out there have seen or know about this ?
tmose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
tmose2

bad brakes

hey guys, first time poster here! I really enjoy the forum. Now I got a question.. My 85 Chevy 1/2 pickup has got a real annoying habit.. the brakes are locking up on the front, and the rear is sliding out and around. So far I have replace all the brake pads, new front hubs, new rear drums, new master cylinder, bled the system, bled the system down to the block where the brake system warning unit on the frame. The master cylinder is pushing fluid back into the reservoir when the pedal is pushed. The pedal goes to the floor.I have a small video of the fluid coming out of the reservoir if anyone needs to see what I am taking about. This one has me totally baffled, and the guys at the counter at o'reilly too. Anyone out there have seen or know about this ?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Eyegore
What Hump?

Re: bad brakes

Check the proportioning valve, believe it is on the frame cross member just under the harmonic balancer, It was the only thing not mentioned, could be the culprit espically if fluid is coming back into the reservoir
Oh btw welcome to th board, post some pics when you can.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
tmose2

will like to send pictures... how do I import from Adobe photoshop?
Old 07-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
tmose2

well I finally got the chance between rain showers to pull the propotion valve off the truck. Use an air hose to blow all the fitting out and it is clear. Have not blew the lines out but the fluid seem to move alright when I bled the system. Could this be the wrong master cylinder for the truck?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
tmose2

well I tried .....
Old 07-05-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
krue
Designated A-hole!

Click the Index link in my sig for several ways to post pictures.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
tmose2

well I talked to another counter guy, a manager with a ASE patch, and he stated that it was normal for fluid to be pushed up into the reservoir when there is no cap on the plastic tank. Has anybody seen this before?The video clip will not upload...there is a steam of brake fluid being shot up into the air about 6 to 10 inches from the rear port in the plastic cup.. for a comparison my dodge pickup with the lid off will not do the same thing. The pedal will go to the floor with very little resistance.