The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
63chevyfleet

230 carb problems !HELP!

i have a 230 six motor that i got. the carb that came on looked good but for some reason i got it running pretty and idles good but when i go to gas it hard its supposed to rev up fast but it doesnt for some reason it back fires. but when you drive it slow without gunning it it runs great but other than that it back fires when i gun it while driving it.

1. when i got it it didnt have a distributor in it. until i got a new one then when i went to set it. i turned the fan, to turn the pulley it has a line on the pulley like all motors and it to tells you that number one piston is up. but mine i setted it on the line and my number 1 piston is down for some reason so maybe the timming chain is off a coulpe teeth maybe that could be the problem.

2.or could it be to much gas in the carb maybe thats why its back firing when i rev it and when im driving it.

3. the exhaust flap maybe its not opening. can some one help me on that!!!
63chevyfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
hewlett2002000

Re: 230 carb problems !HELP!

the timing off. maybe it slipped timing. you sure you got the timing right when you put the distributor in? HEI or points?
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

It may also be the floats in the carb. If they are dumping too much fuel in there in relation to the air, it doesnt matter where your timing is, it will backfire. I have a 292 with the same problem, except my rock-chucker carb wasnt rebuilt correctly. If the carb is worn out, you could be getting vacuum leaks in the carb, or in the accelerator pump, and that will also cause a backfire.

If you listen intently, you can hear a FORD rusting in the distance.

My LUG NUTS take more TORQUE than your HONDA makes!
raiden7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
63chevyfleet

how would i fix the float in the carb is there any thing else that could be wrong with the carb?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:29 AM   #5
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63chevyfleet View Post
how would i fix the float in the carb is there any thing else that could be wrong with the carb?

The float on a single barrel rochester is the saddle bag type, meaning it has actually 2 physical floats. Thay have to be even with each other. To fix the possible fuel dumping down the throat problem, take the manual choke off, then the 5 or 6 flat head bolts in the top of the carb out. Remove the fuel line. CAREFULLY start to pull the top of the carb off, making sure that the top of the carb leaves the rest without a hangup. As you pull it up, the saddle bags will come with it. All you have to do after you get the top off, is bend the set tab on the U shaped part of the saddle bag assembly, so that the floats dont go as far down. Make somewhat minor adjustments to start with, so that you don't over do it. Depending on how bad it is backfiring, a slight adjustment may be all it needs.

When you put the carb top back on, make sure that the gasket isnt pressing on anypart of the inside of the carb, where moving parts such as the saddle bags are. If the gasket is touching any moving part, it is hindering that part, and may very well be the cause of you troubles.

Best of Luck,

Rob

If you listen intently, you can hear a FORD rusting in the distance.

My LUG NUTS take more TORQUE than your HONDA makes!
raiden7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
evilweevil1

I would bet on timing! mine is a little wierd when setting it too. Try a timing light-- then set it by ear so it sounds right. A little ware on the gears makes the marks realy useless. Allso check to see if your vacume advance on your distributer is working. LOL!

Last edited by evilweevil1; 07-07-2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling???
evilweevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
63chevyfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiden7800 View Post
The float on a single barrel rochester is the saddle bag type, meaning it has actually 2 physical floats. Thay have to be even with each other. To fix the possible fuel dumping down the throat problem, take the manual choke off, then the 5 or 6 flat head bolts in the top of the carb out. Remove the fuel line. CAREFULLY start to pull the top of the carb off, making sure that the top of the carb leaves the rest without a hangup. As you pull it up, the saddle bags will come with it. All you have to do after you get the top off, is bend the set tab on the U shaped part of the saddle bag assembly, so that the floats dont go as far down. Make somewhat minor adjustments to start with, so that you don't over do it. Depending on how bad it is backfiring, a slight adjustment may be all it needs.

When you put the carb top back on, make sure that the gasket isnt pressing on anypart of the inside of the carb, where moving parts such as the saddle bags are. If the gasket is touching any moving part, it is hindering that part, and may very well be the cause of you troubles.

Best of Luck,

Rob
thanx for the help i think it will work.