The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
67Black

Exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels.... HELP!!!!

Hello Guys i need some help and PICS. I have a swb 67 and i want to have the exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels. Some people say that it would be too loud (in cab). I'm using 40 series Flowmasters..... I'll apprciate some Help thanks....
Attached Images

67Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Shaffer4
Strange Cousin From The West..

Re: Exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels.... HELP!!!!

I used to have it out the side on my 70 Stepside, it was fairly loud, but then the cab isn't insulated, I imagine it wouldn't be bad with some good sound-deadening material.

What gearing to you have? I have 4.10s so the Radio on the highway was pretty much a whisper.

I ran the side dumps with the big-block for about a month... until the mufflers cracked in half (Torque Twist, baby). So I had the exhaust ran out the back, which took the Muffler Guy six hours to snake around the rear suspension. If I had to do it over again, I would most likely bring them back out the sides as it looks sweet (that or do it Nascar Style and run both out the Passenger Side using Oval pipe ).

I don't have any pics of it, but the set up was like this:

2' of pipe off the collectors, Mufflers...(Had C-bombs at first (holy Nascar batman) then a pair of generic turbos.) Then I had a 45 deg elbow and ran the pipes straight towards the rear tires and angle cut the openings to match the body lines.

Make sure you use good flexible mounts as I had an exhaust shop put some on mine, which ended up being nearly solid which led to the flexing of the mufflers.

Another thought would be to run them similar to the Factory Mopar side dumps, where they the ran the pipe straight out of the back side of the muffler and then put a tight U curve and ran them back forwards and dumped them before the wheels. I assume the Idea behind this being that the Curve would help cut down on the noise. But I Imagine that the Trailing arms on our suspension would make this abit tough to do. ( EDIT: I seem to recall having seen them on a Mopar in the Way I describe (my Die Cast Cuda Model, perhaps..), but I've found pics of a challenger that has side exit exhaust, but the Pipe enters and exits the Muffler on the Same end; the pipe does a U-turn inside the muffler, as per this Image: http://pantherpink.com/cars/fm3194/fm3194_05.jpg )

As for your setup, I Imagine that the Flowmasters would make this even louder.

Last edited by Shaffer4; 07-06-2007 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Clarity
Shaffer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
CUSTOM 72

I'm Running Dual 3" Out The Sides And I Love It The Sound Is Just Right.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
streetstar

I know this is a 75 LWB, not a 67-72 SWB, so this is not an ideal comparison, but i am running Flowmaster 40 series mufflers with side dumps too, that are angled back and am very happy with the sound. Maybe a little loud for a daily driver on the highway , but for a cruiser, its just right

streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
dmsteele92831

I have the 2.5" Dual Flowmaster 40 series in front of my tires as well. I love the sound! It's my cruiser as well though and I will be installing Dynamat in the cab shortly (stereo reasons)
Attached Images

dmsteele92831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Ackattack

I have mine running out the side right now with 2.5" 40 series flows on my 72. It was pretty loud before I got an OD transmission, now its not too bad.

On the 68, I'm going to be running an LSx engine with 3" exhaust, x-pipe and unsure of mufflers, but then just turn downs before the rear axle.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
my70chevyc10

I have mine running out the back. I think it looks better and it sounds better my dad has a 67 longbed fleetside with them coming out the side and it sounds like a boat and it makes it look like the person who did the work was lazy. but thats my $.2
my70chevyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM 72 View Post
I'm Running Dual 3" Out The Sides And I Love It The Sound Is Just Right.
you susre thats 3"? looks smaller

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LoC10 View Post
you susre thats 3"? looks smaller
+1 that looks like 2 inch to me maybe its just the pics......i was running (before the teardown) stock ram horns into 3 inch 40 series and dumped it right before the axle. it was load as shyt.. and at idle the gind on the cam made the whole truck loud at crusing speeds it was worse, but i like the attention so i loved it
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
gferris5

There is some good feedback in this thread. Hey, if possible, could we also get some pics of the trucks from the side so we can see how low down everyone's exhaust hangs?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:59 AM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Just so you guys know, a poverty pipe set up (dumpin it before the axle under the truck) is not a good idea. The exhaust is very corrosive and it WILL end up causing rust and corrosion... even damaging the frame over time.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #12
Shaffer4

We are talking about side exit exhaust in front of the rear tires, not dumping it out under the truck (not a fan of that style), but that is a good point about the corrosion and a good reason not to do it.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

and that's what i get for posting after a 600 or so mile road trip and being up for 22 hrs.
Please disregard my last post, unless it protains to your truck/plans.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:45 AM   #14
Shaffer4

I think that If I put the exhaust out the sides again (sweet look) I think now I would consider using one of these:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...60549_-1_10265

as it could surely be more compact than running two individual mufflers, the Pipes could be offset and and run tighter and out of the way. Personally I would run the majority of the pipes along the passenger side and then run the driver's side exit back across, or dump them both out one side.

Last edited by Shaffer4; 07-09-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #15
67Black

Hey Guys thanks for all the advice! I think i may just exit them out the rear. Like i figured it would be too loud!
67Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #16
Shaffer4

Your Muffler Man will love you... It took the Shop I went to Six hours to run mine out the back on my Short-Step.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #17
2bits

I guess it depends on where you go, my exhaust shop did duals from the headers to dump behind the rear axle on my stepside in about 2 hours when I had the 350 in it. I also prefer out the back exhaust. I had a 74 Monte Carlo with exhaust coming straight out the sides in front of the rear wheels for about 5 years. it was loud of course that was with old hollow glass packs too...
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #18
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

In my opinion, there are two aspects of the loudness. One is that the exhausts exits fairly close to the cab. The other is that the mufflers end up directly beneath the cab. That, to me, is why I have the droning that I have in the cab....well, that and no insulation or carpet.

I am ready for a different look. Several years ago, there was a truck that was featured that had been painted specifically for the Texas Motor Speedway. It was black, with some flames and checkerboard graphics, if you happen to remember. The exhaust went to the back of the bed, and was tucked up behind the roll pan, with turndowns at the end. All you could see was just the tip of the turndowns.

I thought it looked nice, but couldn't have mine done like that, at that time, because the lowering hadn't been done. Now that it has, the muffler man can run 'em.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #19
Spanky_Pete
Too many trucks? Nah...

My Dad and I both had our exhaust exiting before the rear wheels on our 3/4 tons. He became tired of the drone and had his redone to exit in the factory rear location, but I love the way it sounds. It does make the radio rather useless though.
Spanky_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #20
kxmotox247

Mine exits in front of the rear wheels. I lined the cab with brown bread insulation including behind the tank and it's fairly loud. I need to do the doors as well. In town, it's not bad at all.
You'll want to make sure your motor is running well or your rear wheels will get dirty quick!

Last edited by kxmotox247; 07-09-2007 at 01:19 PM.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #21
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer4 View Post
I think that If I put the exhaust out the sides again (sweet look) I think now I would consider using one of these:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...60549_-1_10265

as it could surely be more compact than running two individual mufflers, the Pipes could be offset and and run tighter and out of the way. Personally I would run the majority of the pipes along the passenger side and then run the driver's side exit back across, or dump them both out one side.
I run this type of dynomax but two separate mufflers and I like em' a lot and there is almost no resenance in the cab like the flowmasters cause. And, if you are going to use a flowmaster putting them under the bed is the best config if it's a wood bed. I've had them under the cab and under the bed and it was by far a better setup that way IMHO.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote