The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

final results are in!

two trips a week apart, total of about 120 freeway miles spinning at constant 2000 rpms (around 50-55mph), about 20 miles of mild city driving with traffic lights and all, and several miles of running down a fox-body Mustang at over 100mph - all that took a little under 8 gallons of gas, so that officially puts my truck in the 18+mpg cruisers. And low and behold that's with a double-pumper Holley, and rolling on 1ft-wide bigass tires. Best of all, when chasing that Stang I didn't even have to put the pedal to the metal, maybe just 3/4 down, maybe even less... Yep, I love my rusty old Chevy
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Re: final results are in!

wewt! just goes to show that those tampons cant compete with our badass boxies!

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Ivan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlife View Post
haha, he could have lost me in a heartbeat, stock Mustangs top out at like 140mph, but I think he was way too shocked for that when he realized the old farm truck he just passed is now up on his bumper and keeping up well
Old 07-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Joe67
67 is sold

Hey Ivan, where in the Detroit are are you from?

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
85_SWB

What tranny and gears are you running?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

ill have to do the numbers on mine cuss i barly go to the gas station

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #7
Ivan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe67 View Post
Hey Ivan, where in the Detroit are are you from?
Hey Joe, I ain't in Detroit per say, but still rather close - I live like half a mile southeast from the intersection of 696, M-10, and Telegraph Rd.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
Ivan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_SWB View Post
What tranny and gears are you running?
TH350 tranny, gears are stock 3.08 I think, rear tires are 33x12.5x15 fatties.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 AM   #9
Ivan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
ill have to do the numbers on mine cuss i barly go to the gas station
I see yer sig, I'm pretty sure mine will pull about 20mpg on a level road (I-96 ain't level by no means, lotsa hills), I may downsize the front jets a little to see how that works - I shouldn't run lean cause my secondaries don't close all the way so they actually work towards the idle and cruise rpms too.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlife View Post
i'm guessing it may have been a 4-cylinder, and if you ever drove a fox-body, you would most likely want to get rid of the truck, and i believe Ivan knows what a 5.0 can do
82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
krue
Designated A-hole!

I've owned a rustang, and I'm not proud of it, but I'll never own another, I'd rather have my truck.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
Prerunner1982

My 82 c10 with th350, 3.08s and 32"s got about that on the highway, but with a head wind or in the city the mpg would drop dramatically. That combo of gears/tires are not condusive to torque. Once upto speed it was about the same as an overdrive, but getting up to speed was the hard part.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
revn67

i've owned a camaro, mustang, and now my c-10....i never lost to mustang in my camaro and my truck is in the middle of a build so i'll see what that can do against it...as for a mustang, anyone can make a stang fast, all ya gotta do is bolt on a procharger or a vortec and think your the ****...stangs are gay! just my 2 cents

"finish your beer, theres sober kids in india!"
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
Originally Posted by revn67 View Post
i've owned a camaro, mustang, and now my c-10....i never lost to mustang in my camaro and my truck is in the middle of a build so i'll see what that can do against it...as for a mustang, anyone can make a stang fast, all ya gotta do is bolt on a procharger or a vortec and think your the ****...stangs are gay! just my 2 cents
you owned a lumina, you are gay
Old 07-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #15
82c10
needin' money

Quote:
i have also owned a camaro, 4 mustangs, a c10 and a c1500, out of all of them, mustangs are the best, your truck won't have nothing on a stock 5.0
Old 07-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #16
Pyrotechnic

3.08 gears are king on the highway with a Turbo 350/400.

In my opinion though, a stock 350 has a little trouble pushing them in situations where you can't keep your revs up, like slow moving city traffic. If I can gas it from the start and rev through the gears, it's fine and I'm accelerating very quickly, but if I get stuck behind a slow moving line of cars then try to work my way up to crusing speed it tends to be a little doggy and the transmission feels like it needs to downshift and it will if I give it enough gas. Of course this is compared to prior experience with 3.42's in the same truck. It was always in the powerband and only need to downshift if I really gassed it. I'll have to try holding it in 2nd gear while in traffic and shift into 3rd once I hit 45-50 MPH.

Can't complain about my highway cruising RPM's though.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #17
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
3.08 gears are king on the highway with a Turbo 350/400.

In my opinion though, a stock 350 has a little trouble pushing them in situations where you can't keep your revs up, like slow moving city traffic. If I can gas it from the start and rev through the gears, it's fine and I'm accelerating very quickly, but if I get stuck behind a slow moving line of cars then try to work my way up to crusing speed it tends to be a little doggy and the transmission feels like it needs to downshift and it will if I give it enough gas. Of course this is compared to prior experience with 3.42's in the same truck. It was always in the powerband and only need to downshift if I really gassed it. I'll have to try holding it in 2nd gear while in traffic and shift into 3rd once I hit 45-50 MPH.

Can't complain about my highway cruising RPM's though.
I know the feeling completely. I got a TH350 with 2.73 gears, and on the highway it's nice, but anywhere in town and I just lack so much potential power. I can't wait for the new rear end, which should be in soon. 3.73's!
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 AM   #18
Ivan D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82c10 View Post
i'm guessing it may have been a 4-cylinder, and if you ever drove a fox-body, you would most likely want to get rid of the truck, and i believe Ivan knows what a 5.0 can do
it was a V8 stang, and yes do I know what a 5.0 can do - only reason I kept up with this guy was cause he wasn't getting too into it, and I took him by surprise when accelerating, I'm sure if my truck was as tricked out as most of the low-riders here he'd be quicker with the gas pedal
Old 07-11-2007, 01:14 AM   #19
Ivan D.

Quote:
Actually it's the 305 Camaros that suck hardcore, the stock 5.0HO when installed in such a light-weight car as the fox-body Mustang it really makes it move. Camaros on the other hand... can't count the times I've wasted a 305-equipped one with my redneck race limo, dunno what's up with them but they never seem to run quite right - a 350 does wake them up real good tho Then again there's the 351 Windsor for the Mustangs... It really seems to be one of these religious arguments at that point, it's all up to a personal preference.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #20
Ivan D.

Prerunner and Pyrotechnic, you know that may be a little weird, but I never really felt underpowered with these gears, when running ported vac advance engine was a little slow off the line till it hit 1200rpms, but now with the manifold vacuum it pulls real hard, as a matter of fact most of the time around town I end up turning at right about 1200-1500rpms, like a diesel truck I do have an RV towing cam tho, and an intake that's supposed to build up gobs of torque down low.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #21
slugish
Slugish

Cool Re: final results are in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme80 View Post
I know the feeling completely. I got a TH350 with 2.73 gears, and on the highway it's nice, but anywhere in town and I just lack so much potential power. I can't wait for the new rear end, which should be in soon. 3.73's!
hope you have 4 speed or 700 4r . Had 3.73 in my 84 with a turbo 350 3 speed. Feel like youre running in 2nd gear all th e time waiting for it to change from gas station to gas station.
put a 3 .08 in. miss a little off the line but overall a good comprimise. Need 4 gears for a 3.73 & higher if you do any cruising 55- 65 at all
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote