The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
retselgerg

I got the C/10 blues ("Car 4 speed" question)

Do you guys ever feel like giving up when something doesnt work out for ya?? what gets me is Im 21 alot of kids my age that have nice rides (Tuners or Classics) are so hard on them and i have never spun the tires or anything to that nature in my truck and I still seem to do more work to mine then they do. i just installed a new crate along with about 700 bux in other random parts to my baby but i just cant seem to the linkage dailed on my saginaw 4 speed and today i got so aggiravted today with the linkage i covered it up and told dad i was just gonna let it rust to the ground.........could you guys breakdown for me how to adjust the linkage on a car 4 speed???
Old 07-13-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Imacarguytoo

Re: I got the C/10 blues ("Car 4 speed" question)

I cant help ya with your tranny issue. But dont give up on her. Someone on here will know and help you. Im 33 and have given up a few times to find myself working on another vehicle. Stick with her. Itll all work out for ya.
'51 Jeep Cj3a "Willys" 350 V8
Imacarguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Most of them probally had someone else do it, and it wont last nearly as long. Yeah youve got to put alot of elbow grease into it, but its worth it in the end. My first daily driver was my 77, and it isnt a show truck, its an ex goat hauler i got from a farm sale, but i was proud because it was mine, and i didnt care that they had their evos, because i could steal back hand them from 0-50 and make their jaws drop, even if they whip me from there out.

In the end, the angel cake is better than the candy.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
nplocoman
never finish start another

Don't give up just let it go for a day or two. then it will hit you like a ton of bricks. You are just frustrated now. It's called the school of hard knocks. When you get it right you will be a lot smarter than the rest of those kids!
nplocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
tshaw72low

here is the quicky way to get it..

This is done all from the bottom...

On the shifter it's self there is a hole that goes all the way through shifter levers.

1) Remover linkage from trans only and leaving arms on trans..

2) You'll need to find a pin that fits the hole and goes all the way through to lock the shifter. ( leave the linkage connected to shifter levers)
(I use a small screw drives)

3) Make sure trans is out of gear..

4) Then adjust the linkage 1 at a time till they fit without trans levers moving..

That should get it all lined up and shifting smooth..

Tommy
tshaw72low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:33 AM   #6
OlChev67
Ever heard of Beech Island??

dont let the daddys money folks get you down. If you work on it you will figure it out. just tune, tune, tune... I have never worked on a 4 speed but I sure want one, and if I get one it will be a manual, hopefully soon, and I dont think it should be too bad.
OlChev67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #7
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

It's not hard, just do what Tommy said. Just make sure when you bolt the linkage to the trans that the brackets are on right or your shift pattern will be reversed.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Just stick with it im 31 and I still dont think my rides are very nice but Im bustin my arse to get them better and the best thing of all is that I have done all the work my self..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

it is always better to do it yourself . or at least give a hand or two if you got a friend who does know and will teach ya a thing or two. most of my friends are older than me like 20 plus years, so thats the crowd i hang out with . most people my age (29) are into imports or nothing at all. my advice, hang out with some old school guys, they ve been there done that and all a little more calm when these situations come about. i say take a break from it an go about you ll be suprised on with a clear head how things will come to light. hell i havent seen jail or been in any trouble since i been hanging with my one buddy he s 60, i owe alot to him . i had seen jail 9 times (FOR FIGHTING NOTHING TO CRIMANAL) lol, and not only has he helped me through truck stuff, but he taught me alot, just cuz something or someone pissed ya off doesnt mean you gotta go beat the shyt outa them. simply put i like to fight always have always will , but if you dont let things get to ya were (YOU JUST WANT TO LET IT RUST TO THE GROUND) . problems dont seem so bad. ask people questions, knowledge is free, and 9 times outa 10 some one you know has been there and done that already, just my two cents . tony
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
retselgerg

thnks everyone for the advice, after further review of the situation i discovered my new shifter was damaged which coz'd the most of the problems and i also discoverd my tranny has a rear seal leak so i have decided to take it out and slap ole "granny" back in her for awhile "Just dont feel like me and the saginaw are gonna work out so im gonna give back to dad for him to use on his latest project and im gonna save and look forwards to a late model 5 speed conversion....
Old 07-15-2007, 12:37 AM   #11
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

I've accepted the fact that the little imports have me at the top end. But they're SCREWED on the quarter mile!

And it's pretty cool when you're excuse to losing a race is that you couldn't keep traction.

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 AM   #12
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Top end of a ricer? my buddys vtech 2000 civic EX got roasted by my ole camaro, bone stock except for wheels and exhaust. I hit 140 that night, in a stock 305 4bbl th350 2.56 open (that 256 may be my secret weapon). Those ricers only advantage is modern technoligy. I say get a ricer next to a z06 vette, and then lets see whos off the line first. Heck, my dads full weight 68 camaro non- turbo, super, or nitrous got 10.50 on a quarter, for a full steel big block car, thats grease lighting, especially for something built in the 70s.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 07-15-2007, 01:30 AM   #13
retselgerg

a local guy where i live by the name of terry stacy built a 355 in a 67short stepper about 10 years ago that had been noted to of reached a top speed of over 150........*note to all who find this interesting he just built a 327 in his 68short fleet...and he claims that with gears from the 67 that it would out do the 355.........but aside from the tuner vs classics, you guys have really calmed me down about my truck and its mad me set and think im very lucky to have such a nice truck with a new crate and i should just be greatful for what I have....thanks everyone
Old 07-15-2007, 01:37 AM   #14
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Those 327 motors can hit 10k rpm easy if built right (my dad has maxed out his old 10k rpm Sun super tach) back when he raced, and his buddy has built some small jorunal 283s to do the same. Small journals can spin a little better in my oppion having a smaller crank size.

Now, for your tranny issues, my advice save your money, and buy a borg warner 4 speed with a 2.88 first (dad used them in his drag cars) or any nice borg warners you can find, new ones cost about 1400 and used you can sometiems snag for 500, but make sure its tight and hasnt been raced or improperly setup, otherwise youll spend about the same on parts as you woulda new tranny, if you buy used make sure its a born warner super t10 second design.

Im sure my dads cars could of reached 150 easy, if his small block cars didnt have 5.38 rears.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 07-15-2007, 02:45 AM   #15
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

never give up...just walk away for a few days,,then get back at it..when out driving,,i alway look out for older guys,,Hmmmm,,im gettign old myself at 37, almost 38, but if i see them out messing with older stuff, i will one day stop in and BS with them,,and get to know them...dont just start asking questions right away,,some of them get mad at that and think all you want is some advice and freee help...ask in parts stores,,some of these guys still know what they are doing other than useing a puter to tell them what to do.. but never give up,,one day you will be able to look back and say i did that..and one day there will be some young kid asking you for help or advice on his ol truck to....
billy