The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
jlmerie

Tachometer issues

I have a 1978 GMC truck with a V8 in it. I have a tachometer cluster that I have had for a while that I was going to put in this truck. I had not paid attention, but as I look closer it appears that this tach cluster may be for a four speed truck. I looked, and there is no PRNDL indicator on it. I think other than that the tach is correct for the truck. Can anyone tell me if this cluster is correct for 1978 and can I convert it for an automatic by putting the PRNDL indicator from my existing dash? The gauges and everything are in really good condition so I would like to use it if I can.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Tachometer issues

you may be able to use the white piece from your guage cluster and set the guages and the rear circut board from this one into that.. its been a while since i did this but i think youre missing a piece from this to screw in your gearshift indicator from one to the other

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

bevel it out... a dremel is an awesome thing to utilize

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
boatpuller

here's one out of an auto.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 AM   #5
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

thats the guage cluster im hoping to find..but im also thinking of going with after market gauges...looks like a nice cluster
Old 07-16-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Prong

IF the Oil gauge is electric, you're 90% there. That speedo has only 1 indicator light at the bottom. Does your existing cluster have 2? And are there spots for 2 on the back of that tach cluster? Can you post a pic of the back of that cluster?

Last edited by Prong; 07-16-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerie View Post
Can anyone tell me if this cluster is correct for 1978 and can I convert it for an automatic by putting the PRNDL indicator from my existing dash? The gauges and everything are in really good condition so I would like to use it if I can.
It appears you are just missing the gear indicator which you can swap.
If the oil pressure gauge is NOT mechanical (actual tube going to the engine block) it should be the '78-80 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
here's one out of an auto.
The picture you posted is NOT a 1978 cluster. It is a 73-75 cluster due to the fact it has an AMPS gauge on it
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
jlmerie

Prong, well it looks like I am not 90% there. The oil gauge is NOT electric. My current speedo has two lights at the bottom, but the cluster in the picture appears to have a place for the second light. Maybe this is not the best place to start to add a tach to my truck. I will try to post a picture of the back of the cluster a little later. Just in general, however, are the tach's pretty much interchangable between a four speed and an automatic if you have the PRNDL piece? If you have a four speed can you just remove that piece? Thanks James
Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #9
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

I am fairly certain that I have a spare cluster in good working order, I will check tonight. It came out of my 78 C/10 auto.

I will post one way or another tomorrow.

Drew
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
The oil gauge is NOT electric. My current speedo has two lights at the bottom, but the cluster in the picture appears to have a place for the second light. ......are the tach's pretty much interchangable between a four speed and an automatic if you have the PRNDL piece? If you have a four speed can you just remove that piece? Thanks James
If it isn't electric, you have a 76-77 cluster, it won't be a plug-in to your cluster.

Quote:
......are the tach's pretty much interchangable between a four speed and an automatic if you have the PRNDL piece? If you have a four speed can you just remove that piece? Thanks James
As I alluded to above, yes, ALL of them have 2 lights at the bottom. The one not in use on 2WD's is the 4WD light. They are interchangable, you either have the gear indicator or you don't.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote