The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2002, 02:29 PM   #1
sixnine
Longtime Member

Exclamation We need to do a "common upgrades" board because................

I'm doing the one-wire alt. conversion and I've done a search on the site. Well, with all the differences in everyone's idea of common sense, I ended up more confused after the search than I was before it! A single board with general (but detailed) info on how to do certain "common upgrades" would help out a lot of people and could keep the "same old questions" from re-occuring. What do some of you think? Now to MY problem- I think the hook-up of the new (one wire) alt. is fairly simple (one wire to the batt.). But what about the other wires? I know, some say connect them together with jumpers and some say remove them altogerther. My problem is, I don't seem to have that battery junction block on the fenderwell like some of you mention. When I got the truck, all the wires were crimped together like so..............

so where do the inline fuse (black wire with white tracer) and the red (I'm assuming switched ignition) wire go now that I have installed an internal reg. alternator? Also, that red wire comes out of the bottome of the fuse block at the firewall. But I have another red wire coming out of the top of the fuse block at the fire wall. Neither is connected to anything. What were they originally attactched to? Please forgive the ramblings, hope I didn't lose some of ya'

1972 C10 Short Step -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=261405
sixnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 03:31 PM   #2
c10crazy
Like a Rock!

sixnine,
we have a FAQ board. When you figure this out I hope you post a detailed description for us on how to do it!. Good Luck and keep us posted.
c10crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
barn9
Half a bubble off!

You have a good point. I found that the easiest way to do it was go to the parts store and get the kit that is made to do this changeover. It's not that expensive ($9-15), and the job is done right. I did it that way 3 years ago, and have not had a problem since. Like you, I have seen some confusing info on this board, and that usually turns what is such a simple thing into something way too complicated. My suggestion is get the kit and save a bunch of time and trouble, as well as knowing it is right.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:55 PM   #4
tom hand
CCRider

If you have a true one wire alternator, all you need is ONE wire to the battery. Your done, finished. If you don't have the terminal block on the fender, hook it to the starter solinoid.