The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2002, 01:26 AM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

atlernators, who do you use

in starting to hear that nice whine sound every now and then that always singnals the alternator is going to die soon. at least thats one good thing about having lots of crap happing to you, you start to be abile to tune in to it before it happens lol

anyway, who do you all buy your alternators from? i have used them all and learned to never buy from the cheap crap stores. lifetime warentee or no, im not buyin it! napa has been my place for a long time now. i always buy new parts when i can. this is probably what ill do this time, unless you guys know of a super wazooo alernator. im wanting to stay with the original set up too.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 01:34 AM   #2
mikep
Used to have a truck

www.alterstart.com

They do all their alternator remanufacturing in house. I picked up a one wire 135 amp alternator for $55 delivered and a brand spanking new AC Delco permanent magnet gear reduction starter for $105 delivered. Thats half what summit was selling them for and I cannot say enough good things about them!
Old 12-15-2002, 02:08 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I can't speak from pesonal experiance, but I know my boss will not let us get an alt nor starter from NAPA. He claims that every time he has done this, he ended up doing it again within a month or two.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:24 AM   #4
Over_My_Head

I know that I have had problems with NAPA. Now it was a rebuilt one but that is all they offered for the Toyota truck that I had at the time. It took 3 alternators before I finally got one that worked properly. They were just crap.

I would suggest that you find a good local shop that can rebuild your anternator and you can express upon them that you don't want to have to come back.

Just my $0.02. (and that is the Cdn dollar so it aint worth SH!+)

Trevor

Vehicles;
69 GMC 920 (C20 only Canadian Version)
88 Toyota 4X4 Pick up

Still have much to learn!
Over_My_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:41 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

If you want to drive up to the Fort Hood area, I can recomend an awsome rebuild shop for all automotive electrical items...but that seems a little pointless to go that far.
They rebuilt the alt on the wife's blazer back in 97 right after we bought it, and even though i have abused it, it still charges.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 06:53 PM   #6
Over_My_Head

Ya same goes for if you want to send it to Ontario, CA. My father has found a guy who works out of his garage and he does great work. Dad has had him redo a couple of generators and starters for antigue tractors and an alternator for his Ranger. Always does good work and is quite reasonable to.

Trevor

Vehicles;
69 GMC 920 (C20 only Canadian Version)
88 Toyota 4X4 Pick up

Still have much to learn!
Over_My_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 06:49 PM   #7
Mike C

If you are an industrious sort, you can do bearings and brushes yourself, then you KNOW it is rebuilt right! Also, you can get a 100amp 1 wire (or 3 wire, your choice wire it up ala the Olds FAQ) for $100 from Powermaster, that's what I have on the shelf for when the Jimmy's craps out. Jury is still out on whether your Ammeter will work after converting to internal regulator, however. Usually when I need an alternator, I just get it out of the box of spares... Tha't's one advantage to parting out so many Chevy powered cars and trucks. You can get a pigtail to use any 10si alternator from most parts stores, but the wiring looks neater on the one wire. (Running one on my '44 MB, doesn't look original ,but beats the crap out of the stupid generator and lets you run 12v also.)
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 07:18 PM   #8
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

Powermaster rules!

I have a chrome powermaster alternator. I love this thing. I am running the March serpentine kit with it. I highly recommend them.