The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Chris_T

How long do you keep it?

How long have you all kept a truck or a project that you're not working on or driving before you sell it? I've had my Blazer for more than 10 years, but for the last two years it's sat in storage or beside my garage. While everyone could use a few extra dollars, I don't really need to sell, but the Blazer is staying at the bottom of the to-do list. In the meantime I'm sure mice will move in if they already haven't (we moved to an acreage, which sucks up free time and $$ like I wouldn't have believed).

In the long term I'd love to build a shop and start a restification, bringing it back from a lifted and locked mild trail rig to a weekend cruiser (there are not a lot of rocks to crawl since we moved here). But I could see it sitting and deteriorating until I get around to it.

For those of you that sold a project that sat, how many regret it? For those of you that kept, how long has it been waiting and did you ever get back around to it?
Chris_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
bigpig72CST

Re: How long do you keep it?

Well, I have had my 55 since 1994, and it is stored in a shop. My Blazer I bought in 1998, and I am just now lining up the bodywork. The only thing that kept me from getting after them was $$. College was the biggest reason that I didn't do anything, and I am now able to again. I will not sell either of them unless I need to feed my family, etc.

As far as regretting getting rid of something, I can tell you that I have plenty of remorse. I sold my 70 Chevelle SS that I wish I still had. Also I was part owner of an 82 Camaro, I got rid of a 94 Z28, an 85 Blazer, a nice 93 Z71, and the list goes on. If I could keep everything I would, but that's not smart.
bigpig72CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
pound41

I have been slow going on both my blazers. The only example I can offer is my 69 RS/SS Camaro that I mostly restore 10 yrs ago before kids. I often think of selling it. Then the reality hits me that in a few years when I will have the time to enjoy it. Will I have the cash to buy my way back into the game. The 67-72 will only continue to go up in price.
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
swyfor5

I say keep it forever! Have had my k5 for 26 years, and the last 7 have been in storage. Just getting ready to bust it out and do a full resto/custom rebuild. Besides, the wife would divorce me if I sold it!
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41 View Post
I have been slow going on both my blazers.
X2
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_T View Post
How long have you all kept a truck or a project that you're not working on or driving before you sell it? For those of you that kept, how long has it been waiting and did you ever get back around to it?
Won't ever sell, I don't think. There have been times when money was tight, and selling seemed like an option. But I'm glad I didn't. I don't always have the time to work on my truck, but that goes for a lot of other things in my life too. I used to scuba dive, go fishing, camping, etc. Now I spend my off hours working on home improvements, and chasing after the kids and their activities. Softball in the spring and summer, hockey in the winter. There is very little break between.

The good news is that I have it, I can drive it when I want to, work on it when I want to. I manage to pick a couple of things each year or summer to fix or replace. This year is the floor and rockers. Once that is done, it is pretty much ready for a good paint job. I turned 40 last week and have had the truck since I was 15. It's never been repainted. I can hardly wait.

Here's the kicker, since all the wrenching is pretty much done and I suck at body work, I got another project. See the build thread if you want, but it total wrench work. Don't care about the body. It's waiting until I finish two more honey do projects (working on one today) then the fun begins.

My wife wasn't exactly thrilled with the new project and asked me why I'm doing it. I sat for a while and thought about it. The best answer I could come up with, was that it made me happy. Runners like to run, painters like to paint. I like to wrench.

The bottom line for you is this. Do I really want to do this project? Is it really a problem for the project to wait? Keep the truck off the ground or out of the weeds, cover it up so it stays dry. Start it up every once in a while and drive it around (if possible). When it's your time to get into the project, when it has moved up on your priority list, you'll know it's time. If you lost interest completely, sell it off. They are not so rare you can't get another if the interest returns.

Personally, I don't ever plan on "restoring" another old rusty car of any kind. I have learned that it is much easier and less costly to buy someone elses hard work and money.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
jhow66

Let's see now. I have had the '56 for 51 years and the '71 for 16 years.
Attached Images

jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

No limit.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
No limit.
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
Kevin45

Quote:
Let's see now. I have had the '56 for 51 years and the '71 for 16 years.

Nice ride. But I see this as an omen. I was born in '56 and I will be 51 this year, so you really should set that car in my garage Besides that...after 51 years of owning the same ride, surely the fun has to have wore off by now
Old 07-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
jhow66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45 View Post

Nice ride. But I see this as an omen. I was born in '56 and I will be 51 this year, so you really should set that car in my garage Besides that...after 51 years of owning the same ride, surely the fun has to have wore off by now
Can't get rid of it now-that would be like getting rid of the old lady-wait that might not be so bad after all
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote