The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

My 83 Burb Drama!!!(long)

Background: Found an 83 c20 Suburban w/454/400th(running and driveable) for $1500. Plans were to get it and swap motors with my 84 SWB 350/350 and turn around and sell the Burb.
Drama: (2.5hr drive) Plan to leave Sunday morning at 8, get a call at 8 saying that we are taking someone else's truck to pick it up and they will be there a 9. No big deal. Pick up the trailer at 9:30, have to stop at the local auto parts store to get an adapter, trailer wires ended up being to short so I bought a new 4 wire connector w/ longer wires to redo the end. Get that done and finally get on the road around 1145 after we ate lunch. Get to the guys house and I look the Burb over and everything looks good(no radiator or battery hence the need for a trailer) Truck fires up fine and runs good no knocks or pings. Call the wife to have her Western Union the Money(that is what he wanted bc I couldn't get the cash on Sunday-my fault) while we load up the Burb. She calls back and says she can't read her security code on the bck so Western union(online) denied the transaction. No big deal, I give her my card number and code and she says she will call me back. Calls me back and it doesn't work either. Long story short WU held the funds on both transactions totalling $3104 even though they were denied and I am standing at a WU location and they can't do anything. Me and the guy work out a deal so I don't have to drive back and all is good. Or so we thought. We get on the road. we merge on to the highway and at about 40 mph the trailer starts swerving back and forth pretty bad, so we ride it out and everything is fine, driver thought it was his fault for merging too quickly. Get back going again and at 40 mph it gets even worse, at one point we could see the side of the burb in the rear views, tires are screeching and we are all thinking that this is going to end up very badly. The driver never once panicked(sp) and was probably the only thing that saved us. Pull off the highway to repostion the burb on the trailer anf find out that the equalizers between the leaf springs are broken and had been for quite awhile. We creep back to the guys house and unload the trailer and leave the trailer and burb there. Call the guy that owned the trailer and he had no idea that they had been broke, he owns horse and he only uses the trailer locally to haul 1 or 2 round bales of hay. We get home around 10pm and plan to get the parts on monday and fix the trailer.

Leave Monday morning about 8(2 of us) and get there and fix the trailer and got home safely around 11pm. Never got over 55 bc we were still nervous from yesterday.

4 lessons learned:
Never trust a trailer/owner even if it pulls right with nothing on it.
Always check under the trailer.
Get the cash on a regular business day
Never will I deal with WU again.
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168

Last edited by softballnrd27; 07-24-2007 at 11:10 AM.
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: My 83 Burb Drama!!!(long)

sound like a very intereasting day/ weekend

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

Re: My 83 Burb Drama!!!(long)

sounds like how my day would go to...but on the bright side of the coin,,the driver didnt panick and total out the burban or get somebody hurt...