The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
72 68 andmore

Power Trax rear end by Richmond Gears

Has anyone installed the Richmond Gears Power Trax No-Slip rear end parts in your truck. It basically replaces the side and spider gears, no clutches but gives you a basically posi rear end I have tested it and when the one wheel looses traction the other grabs right away and you are on your way without a hitch just a little bit of noise. I was wondering if anyone else basically was experiencing the clunking noises. It works awesome, I can now do a 2 wheel peel for 3 car lengths before a one wheel peel for a car and I had to brake torque it.
Let me know your experiences with this if you have, only reason I did it was I came across it, with the original receipt from Summit for almost 500 bucks and it is still under warranty, it is less than a year old, and it was in a Chevelle for a few weeks until the guy went with a Ford 9 inch to get some tire width. I got it for 150 C so it was a steal. Takes longer to jack up the truck and drain and prepare the cover for reinstall than it does to put this unit in. Like I said no clutches...just springs. Anyway thanks in advance for opinions whathaveyou.
72 68 andmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
corn

Re: Power Trax rear end by Richmond Gears

I had one for my 10 bolt but sold it when I got the 12 bolt. The guy that bought it installed it & hasnt had any problems. Ive heard to stay away if you are pushing a bunch of HP but Id guess 300sh will be ok. Best part is the install, easy as pie...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
revn67

how about if you had close to 500hp...what would stand upto that? and do they make c-clip eliminators for truck 12-bolts? don't mean to hijack, thought it would still help you out asking these questions...

"finish your beer, theres sober kids in india!"
revn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
65-72 chevytoys

I think they are only rated to 300-400 hp before failing. Better off spending the money on an Eaton posi unit to begin with.
2004 Corvette Z16 #770
Wish I had not sold 72 blazer
65-72 chevytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by revn67 View Post
how about if you had close to 500hp...what would stand upto that? and do they make c-clip eliminators for truck 12-bolts? don't mean to hijack, thought it would still help you out asking these questions...
U pushin 500 ponies with a 327? Not picking on you here, just wondering what would have to be invested $$ in a small cube motor to get that kind of HP.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
72 68 andmore

FYI I am pushing maybe 250....290 if I am have not been lied to LOL. I was wondering about the clunking more than anything. Did the guy with the 10 bolt hear that? Mine is a 12 by the way and the c clips are still in there. Yes it is so simple I even decided to splurge and buy the 75-w140 synthetic fluid it recommends. Needs no additives cuz no clutches. It really makes the truck feel like it has some power. I am not sure but I think my Durango R/T with 5.9 L and 3:91 gears would have a hard time keeping up. Maybe I will organize a race. I better video this. Get my kid to drive the Durango she will love that. If I get nuts enough I will post such video. But Corn did yours clunk a bit?
72 68 andmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 68 andmore View Post
FYI I am pushing maybe 250....290 if I am have not been lied to LOL. I was wondering about the clunking more than anything. Did the guy with the 10 bolt hear that? Mine is a 12 by the way and the c clips are still in there. Yes it is so simple I even decided to splurge and buy the 75-w140 synthetic fluid it recommends. Needs no additives cuz no clutches. It really makes the truck feel like it has some power. I am not sure but I think my Durango R/T with 5.9 L and 3:91 gears would have a hard time keeping up. Maybe I will organize a race. I better video this. Get my kid to drive the Durango she will love that. If I get nuts enough I will post such video. But Corn did yours clunk a bit?
I think they do make a clicking sound when you turn. Ill ask my buddy & see what he says about it...