The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
OleSenna
Roof: Bad. Sky: Good.

Drums, Steering & Lowering

This is Olesenna's Mechanic.

I'm working with a 1972 Blazer K/5 4wd w. a 350. First of all, 6 lug rear drums are hard to find, I found one site (manestruckparts.com) that sells them for $79.95. Is that the best price out there? Can I do better? Any recources?

This truck came to us equipped with Skyjacker 2.5" all spring lift with Pro-Comp shocks (oversize) (no blocks in rear, new springs used from Skyjacker). Is there any way to lower it without replacing the items above?

The steering has a new Crossover steering conversion with a new steering box, Pitman arm and crossover arm using a custom draglink. *EDITED BY MODERATOR*

Last edited by HuggerCST; 07-23-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: WTB- Non subscriber
OleSenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
HuggerCST

Re: Drums, Steering & Lowering

Sorry, but you have to be a subscriber to post a "want to buy". Click the link in my signature to subscribe.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
OleSenna

Greetings, fellow Blazer (& Jimmy) enthusiasts. I'm a newbie on the posting side, but I've been lurking around for several months. Terrific site! Good info, lots of entertaining characters and an impressive gathering of machinery.

Please check out the message posted earlier today. It originated from the shop currently helping me tweak my recently purchased '72 4WD K5. This is my second dance with a '72 Blazer. The first one, which I modified as a DD back in the late 1980s-early 90s, was a mildly customized 2WD model, Hugger orange with black interior, slightly lowered, chrome 15-inch American Mag style wheels, crate 350/Edelbrock carb & manifold/Hooker headers, turbo 350 tranny with B&M drag-style floor shifter, custom rollbar, Recaro-type sport buckets and BestTop convertible top. It was my dream ride until an inebriated bonehead smacked it sideways and the insurance barely covered the towing charge. In any case, I managed to retain the seats, which will be installed in my new Blazer.

Speaking of which...

Here we are, a decade and change later, and I finally got my hands on another 1st gen Blazer. This time 4WD, ochre ext/black int, crate 350 w/ goodies, 350T, Skyjacker raised 2.5", 32" BFG all terrains. It's in decent running order with a few issues need attention.

In our original message, my mechanic described the issues (drums, steering & lowering), but in so doing asked about purchasing some equipment, which is why moderator HuggerST understandably stepped in. We're interested in getting my Blazer in the best shape possible within a limited budget, which means we're always looking for the best deals possible. More importantly, though, this is the first time we've tackled a 4WD project of this type, so we have much to learn.

(To clarify the steering problem, symptoms include a soft, wandering looseness around the center and inability to hold a true line on the road, esp. with the big BFGs, which will soon be replaced by more streetable meats.)

Please take a few minutes to ponder our concerns. Your interest and input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.

PS Since I know how much everyone enjoys visual aids, we'll post a few pics of the Blaze ASAP!
OleSenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Sounds like your mechanic needs to inspect the front end components to see what is worn. Tie rods ends are a likely culprit and easily replaced. Your steering box could be worn and causing the problem. I'd get the new tires on and have him inspect the frontend and go from there.

I'll let others chime in about your rear drum replacement options. I'm surprised your local Napa/Autozone/O'Reilly's can't source the drums.

Oh, welcome to the board! It holds a wealth of information.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
OleSenna

If this turns out like it's supposed to, you can take a look at a few pics of my recently acquired '72 Blazer. If not, I'll keep trying until it works.

Attachment 285494

Attachment 285495

Attachment 285496

Name:  Steering gear1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  27.3 KB

Attachment 285498

Meanwhile, we found 6 lug rear drums for $60 apiece. Still seeking tips on steering and lowering issues previously described. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
jfortner

I had similar issues and it was a broken spring pin to hold the axel in place. New springs fixed this.
jfortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

To lower it, you really need to get replacement springs. Someone might have a used set that wouldn't be worth much. Other than that, you will need to buy new. Is it really worth your effort to drop it 2.5"? That isn't very much and your gonna end up doing a fair amount of work and replace good parts to barely change the height.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
OleSenna

Thanks for the`feedback. It's not that we've settled on dropping the body 2.5". That's just the height of the Skyjacker lift job as indicated by the previous owner.

I'm looking to get the body down to "normal" street level, whatever that might end up being. Not slammed, just providing more convenient access to a vehicle that will be used for a daily driver. Does that change your suggestion?

In this case, I definitely agree that springs are going to be a part of any lowering project. Anybody got a lead on a pair?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Don't just cheap out and buy the least expensive drums you can find. I found them at 49.00 a piece when I did my rear brakes, They were junk and didn't fit well. I ended up returning them.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

For a steering gear contact Wes at Classic Heartbeat.
He carries Red head remanufactured gears in variable or quick ratio.
I put one of these in my highlander and it awsome!

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olesenna View Post
Anybody got a lead on a pair?
Also, Its OK to ask for suggestions of vendors to buy parts.

Not OK to post want to buy without subscribing.

Please be specific.

Thanks,

Denny
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote